GolfChannel.com Senior Writer Jason Sobel is in Atlanta, Georgia this week for the Tour Championship by Coca-Cola. After a week off, the FedExCup Playoffs continue at East Lake this week and Sobel does not feel that much momentum for this tournament has been created because of the off week. However, he does understand that an off week is necessary because it gives players a chance a rest and if there were not an off week, it is likely that many big name players would skip a Playoff event and that is not good for anyone involved.
Louis Oosthuizen has a chance to win the FedExCup without winning the TOUR Championship and although he has a strong season, he has not won on the PGA TOUR in 2012 and would win the $10 million bonus without winning at all. It would certainly be an unfortunate end to a very exciting FedExCup season.
Sobel feels that the Ryder Cup could improve itself by borrowing a couple of ideas from the Presidents Cup. He thinks that the Ryder Cup would benefit from expanding to four days and adding team matches. The most significant change would be if the Ryder Cup went away from a blind draw for its matches and instead had the captains sit together and select their matches in front of each other.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Bradley keeps Nelson lead | At a glance | Scores
- Korda leads Mobile Bay LPGA through 36 | Scores
- McIlroy leaves agent, forms firm | Timeline
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Guan shoots 70-77, misses first PGA Tour cut
- Poulter out at Volvo | 'Disgusted' with play | Results
- Video: Man drains amazing office putt down stairs
- Donald receives MBE from Queen of England
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process