When it comes to Rory McIlroy at The Masters, Jay noted that a lot of things have happened since that final round 80 in the 2011 Masters and he thinks that Rory will be ready to go and will be beyond what happened last year by the first round on Thursday. Jay also thinks that Rory McIlroy is the Masters favorite among European players.
Between Luke Donald and Lee Westwood, Jay wished that he did not have to choose because they are both so good and both could win The Masters this week. They are pretty even but Jay would give the edge to Luke Donald in part because Donald has won in 2012 and he won on a very tough course at Innisbrook in the Transitions Championship.
In a head-to-head matchup on Sunday between Tiger and Phil, Jay would give the edge to Tiger because Tiger is playing better right now and Phil also did not look very solid during the final round in Houston while Tiger looked great in the final round at Bay Hill.
When asked about a dark horse pick among European Tour players, Jay mentioned Martin Kaymer. Kaymer is a really good player and it is surprising that he has not played better at Augusta National. It is odd to say that the 6th ranked player in the world is a dark horse but he is.
Thomas Bjorn was a great story in 2011 with how well he played in Europe but he has not played as well in 2012 and Jay doubts that Bjorn will be in contention at Augusta National this week. Graeme McDowell has played well in 2012 but based on the fact that he does not have an extensive history in The Masters, Jay is not sure whether or not McDowell will be in contention this weekend.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- Karlsson puts yips behind, qualifies for British Open
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae