Looking back at the McIlroy/Westwood semifinal in Arizona, Jay said that it was more of a win for McIlroy than a loss for Westwood. Westwood has won so many times around the world that he does not have anything to regret for not beating McIlroy. Plus, Westwood has been World #1 while McIlroy has not. He said that the bigger current rivalry between Rory & Lee and Tiger & Phil is Rory & Lee.
For many years, the Europeans had a big chip on their shoulder as more world ranking points were almost always available in the United States. There has been a shift in recent years and it is more seasonal. There tend to be more points early in the year but by March the advantage shifts back to the United States before heading back overseas late in the year.
Any situation where there was a bit of friction in Europe including Ballesteros & Faldo, Faldo & Lyle, etc. created an exciting situation for everyone to watch. Overall, Europeans tended to enjoy beating Nick Faldo more than anyone else because Faldo tended to win the most and was World #1 for the longest period of time.
The weather forecast at The Honda Classic calls for very calm weather which bodes well for Rory McIlroy. PGA National is a course that can play very difficult when the wind is blowing especially at The Bear Trap but the early forecast calls for very nice weather which could mean a Rory McIlroy victory.
Before last week, many people questioned Hunter Mahan when he was under the gun mostly because of the 2010 Ryder Cup but he played the best last week and won and as a result, Mahan has gained a lot more respect among viewers in Europe.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- LIVE STREAM: Senior PGA Championship, Round 1
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Crowne Plaza | Senior PGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia: Remark 'stupid'; apologizes to Woods
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Anchoring attorney: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' cameo
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Back-nine 41 dooms McIlroy's BMW PGA opener
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- U.S. Open champ respectfully disagrees with USGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Instruction: Tips to strike your putts more solidly