Jay Townsend is back in the United States after several weeks in Europe covering the European Tour as well as the Solheim Cup. During his trip, he said that the most impressive performance was Michael Hoey winning the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship after Rory McIlroy started the final round 7 under par through 11 holes at St. Andrews. After a suggestion from Gary, Townsend added Suzann Pettersen and Caroline Hedwall’s respective Sunday Singles comebacks in the Solheim Cup to Hoey’s win as the most exciting moments. Martin Kaymer is in the field in the Portugal Masters and thinks that his struggles in 2011 are rooted in his efforts to try to change his game prior to the Masters and then having to change his game back when the Augusta efforts failed. Kaymer is a nice person who seems to have things in perspective and Townsend does not think commitments that he made after winning the PGA Championship are responsible for his struggles. He thinks Kaymer will come back strong in 2012 and will be better than ever because of the struggles in 2011. In response to Lee Westwood’s suggestion that a Major be played in Asia in the future whether it is a fifth Major or as one of the four Majors, he said that he is not a fan of a fifth Major but he does agree with the idea that Asia should have more prominent events. However, he does not see how it would be possible to have a Major in Asia in terms of logistics and feels that instead, the WGC-HSBC Champions should be made a full-fledged event on the PGA TOUR. He does not understand how three of the four WGC events are based in the United States as so much money is located overseas in Asia, Australia, and Europe. The reason that he cannot see a Major being played in Asia is simply because the Augusta National, USGA, R&A, and PGA of America will not move their events from the United States or Great Britain.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Kuchar leads suspended Crowne | Glance | Scores
- Molinari leads BMW | Rory, McDowell MC | Scores
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- USC women sweep team, individual titles at NCAAs
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Sr. PGA lead | Scores
- Bowie Young leads LPGA in Bahamas | Scores
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots