Golf Channel Analyst Jerry Foltz is in Riviera Maya, Mexico this week for Golf Channel’s coverage of the Mayakoba Golf Classic on the PGA TOUR. Daniel Summerhays leads after 54 holes in Mexico and after watching him play on Saturday, Foltz is very confident that he will go on to win today although one can never be 100% sure. Summerhays is a very talented player and very strong from tee to green but his only weakness has been his short putts. He is making his short putts this week and when he saw Summerhays when on the Nationwide Tour as an amateur, he looked like a veteran tour winner.
Every player and every person involved with the Mayakoba Golf Classic feels like they are on vacation this week. It is located in a beautiful part of Mexico and all of the resorts in the area are inclusive with each other. When the event debuted six years ago, no one thought that this event would be able to attract a strong field and yet it has despite being up against a WGC event. Many people feel that this is one of Greg Norman’s best course designs and many players think that this is one of the best courses that they play all year.
With the various changes that are in store for 2013, it appears to be likely that the Mayakoba Golf Classic will move to the fall and will have its own week on the PGA TOUR. He finds it hard to believe that the event will not attract a strong field with a move to the fall because of all of the good word of mouth from the past few years.
Michael Allen, a Champions Tour member who has never won on the PGA TOUR, is someone who could definitely win today. He played his best golf on the PGA TOUR in his 40s and did win on the European Tour before winning on the Champions Tour after turning 50. If he could win today, Allen would become the first player to ever win on the Champions Tour before winning on the PGA TOUR. The course is not very long and requires a lot of strategy which could bode well for Michael Allen today. The course is, in Foltz’s words, a thinking man’s paradise and a few years ago Fred Funk won the Mayakoba Golf Classic after turning 50.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Garcia makes racist remark regarding Woods
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Uihlein's amazing journey | Tour on fans calling in
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Pettersson asks for 'a few days' | Pavin's take
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth