The thing that impressed Hawkins the most about Webb Simpson’s U.S. Open win was the fact that he shot 68-68 on the weekend on a course as tough as The Olympic Club. Simpson has always been a player who can run hot and cold with the putter but he was clearly hot on the greens last week and when he is putting well, he usually contends every week.
He thinks that Simpson has a very bright future now that he has won his first Major. Hawkins remembered how in 2003, he looked at Major Champions Ben Curtis and Shaun Micheel and could not see them winning multiple Majors and so far he has been right. He sees big things for Simpson on the horizon including multiple Major wins and maybe around 12 PGA TOUR wins for his career.
Tiger Woods led after 36 holes but fell back on the weekend to T21 and Hawkins feels that Tiger will never, ever be the same dominant player that he was. Hawkins has been thinking this ever since 2009 and while Tiger will win again on the PGA TOUR and may win a couple more Majors before his career is over, he will never have the dominance that he used to have. He has more competition than he had in years past and he also seems to be laboring more when he is trying to play well during Majors. The old Tiger never lacked in confidence but there have been so many personal and professional distractions over the year that Tiger’s confidence is not at the level it used to be and will never be back at the level it once was. Tiger had an amazing 13-year period of dominance and it was great and special but it may be over.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- Karlsson puts yips behind, qualifies for British Open
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae