John’s expectations for Tiger this week at the Chevron World Challenge following his success in Australia are for him to win. He feels that Tiger Woods is the favorite this week and that he is still the guy in the red shirt who has 14 Major titles and if he is not the top favorite, he is certainly in the top 3.
He thinks that Dustin Johnson could come out of his knee surgery even better in 2012 than he was in 2011. Having to have this kind of surgery means that he was hurt and with all of the international travel, Dustin is probably exhausted and the forced rest from competitive golf should do him some good leading into the 2012 PGA TOUR season.
He has never seen a Q-School field that is as interesting as this year’s field. While he normally detests the idea of the veteran hanging on for his card, he is very attracted to the storyline that David Duval brings not only to Q-School but also to any event he plays. Duval is embarking on the great comeback and John is actually a little surprised that Duval is still out there but the amount of money available makes the decision understandable. With all of that money, no matter where you are in your career, you have to keep trying. Although he supports the change to the process of earning PGA TOUR cards to have it weigh more towards the Nationwide Tour, he is looking forward to Q-School this year as he always does.
The McGladrey Classic has had the best field of any Fall Series event and having re-signed for another three years as sponsor until 2015, John thinks that there is potential for the Sea Island event to go to the FedExCup and thinks that there will be discussion of that possibility. The potential change involving a three-event series of events for Nationwide Tour and PGA TOUR players could change the status of the event. Hawkins also feels that McGladrey likely put language into the latest contract that would protect the event from becoming a part of a possible Nationwide Tour/PGA TOUR series.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Bradley leads by 1 | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- Chella Choi leads; Nordqvist fires 61 | Scores
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process