SiriusXM PGA TOUR Network Analyst John Maginnes is in Greensboro, NC this week for the Wyndham Championship. The greens at Sedgefield CC have been changed from bentgrass to Champions Bermuda. Back when the event was played in the spring or fall, the bentgrass greens were great but they struggled during the summer. So last May, the membership began the process to change the greens and Maginnes thinks that they will really enjoy the change.
This course is one of the shortest on the PGA TOUR but the new greens provide a definite challenge. Players will have to make sure to keep their approach shots below the hole if they are to have any chance to make birdies. Considering the fact that the course reopened with the new greens just two weeks ago, the course is in amazing condition and the players are effusive in their praise.
When asked about the 125 number for the PGA TOUR Playoffs, Maginnes says that 125 makes sense and likes that the PGA TOUR reduced the number from 144 after the 2008 season. He would not advise the PGA TOUR to go any higher or any lower and he thinks that the changes for 2013 will make the 125 number even more interesting because if you finish 126th, you will have to go to the three event series to try to keep your job.
He has spoken with Ben Kohles this week and was also fortunate to be on the Golf Channel crew that covered Kohles’ first win in the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Invitational. Kohles is not only an impressive player but he has also shown that he can handle himself very well socially on the PGA TOUR. He seems very comfortable on the PGA TOUR and he seems to be getting along with all of the players very well.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- LIVE STREAM: Watch Bradley at Byron Nelson
- SCORING: Nelson Day 3 | Volvo: G-Mac in semis
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Palmer, Nicklaus release statements on Venturi
- Bradley keeps Nelson lead | Rd. 2 at a glance
- Korda leads Mobile Bay through 36 | Scores
- McIlroy leaves agent, forms firm | Timeline
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Video: Man drains amazing office putt down stairs
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process