Golf Channel Reporter Kelly Tilghman is in Washington, D.C. as Arnold Palmer will be presented his Congressional Gold Medal today at the U.S. Capitol Building. George Washington was the recipient of the first Congressional Gold Medal in 1776 and Palmer joins Byron Nelson as the only golfers to ever receive this honor. Along with the Presidential Medal of Freedom, this is the highest honor that a U.S. civilian can receive and Palmer has now been honored with both (he received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from George W. Bush in 2004.)
Palmer was originally honored in 2009 but he will officially receive the award today. We all know how much Mr. Palmer has given to so many people including Golf Channel and she feels very fortunate to have had the chance to be his caddie during the Par 3 Contest at The Masters on multiple occasions. She had the unique opportunity to experience the love that Palmer receives on a daily basis from his Army and it is truly an amazing feeling.
Arnold Palmer has a way of looking at you as though he has known you for many years and he is one of those few people in the world who can unite people from all political persuasions and all walks of life. He has won 7 Major Championships in his career but he will tell you that the greatest achievement of his life is being able to open hospitals in the Orlando, Florida area that serve all people.
She flew up to Washington, D.C. on September 11th and she believes more than ever that 9/11 is actually the safest day you can fly during the calendar year in the United States. There was a silence among the passengers as they approached the airport and the Captain told the passengers how much he and the rest of the crew appreciated that they had decided to fly with them on 9/11.
It is an amazing feeling to be in Washington, D.C. and to see all of the offices of our lawmakers. In fact, she was able to see the offices of the Senators from her home state of South Carolina. She is very excited to be able to witness the ceremony for Mr. Palmer later today in the Rotunda of the U.S. Capitol Building.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- LIVE STREAM: Sr. PGA Championship, Round 2
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Donald's three-peat BMW PGA bid ends with MC
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Colonial member Palmer fires 62 | At a glance
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' role
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Senior PGA Championship
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots