Big Break Ireland Winner Mark Murphy is playing in The Irish Open this week on an exemption that he earned by winning Big Break Ireland. Murphy opened with a 3-under-par 69 in the first round at Royal Portrush. It was an unbelievable experience to go out to Royal Portrush in his national Open Championship and there were so many great fans out on the course. The support from the local community has been unbelievable and it was a real thrill to shoot a great round on such a big stage.
When he played in Morocco earlier this year on the European Tour, he learned a lot of lessons that week on how to conduct himself in competition and handling the elements. It is raining sideways in Portrush today so to say the very least it will be challenging in the second round but he hopes to be able to hang on and play the weekend.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Garcia makes racist remark regarding Woods
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Uihlein's amazing journey | Tour on fans calling in
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Pettersson asks for 'a few days' | Pavin's take
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth