Golf Channel on NBC Analyst Mark Rolfing is in Marana, Arizona this week for the WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship. When it comes to Tiger Woods’ impact this week in Arizona, Mark began by saying that he misses him this morning before adding that Tiger is someone is able to generate a rooting interest either for him or against him and that adds a lot to the feel and excitement of an event. Without that rooting interest, the event is negatively impacted.
The rivalry between Rory and Lee has certainly been covered more in the media than the match between Mark Wilson and Hunter Mahan. A lot of people are rooting for Rory McIlroy to the point that Mark does not believe that there is an American bias. He thinks that the majority of fans are just as likely to root for Wilson or Mahan that they are for McIlroy or Westwood in the final.
In his opinion, the biggest surprise of the week has been the fact that Lee Westwood has made it to the semifinals when you consider the fact that entering this week, he had never made it past the second round in 11 starts and he had been self-deprecating about that fact all week.
Wednesday is by far the best day of the week and in Mark’s opinion is one of the best days of the whole year. However, the excitement goes away as the week goes on and the PGA TOUR needs to figure out a way to maintain at least some of the excitement that is there on Wednesday.
He was in Chicago last week at Medinah and it was 50 degrees. He has been to Chicago often enough to know that the winter will likely come in April and the weather will be volatile this year. However, he is confident that Medinah Country Club will be able to handle tough weather this year and will be ready for the Ryder Cup. Mark also thinks that the 2012 Ryder Cup will be one of the best ever.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Woods pulls out of AT&T with strained elbow
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights major champ group | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a friend
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path