Martin Davis is the historian for Golf Channel. A.W. Tillinghast has been credited with the design of the Black Course at Bethpage State Park for many years but there is a lot of evidence that Joseph Burbeck deserves a lot of credit for the design. However, there is a great similarity between the design elements of the Black Course and his other great courses including Ridgewood Country Club and San Francisco Golf Club. Davis said that he gives Burbeck plenty of credit for The Black Course but it is not as though Tillinghast did not have significant input.
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose: Letterman Top 10 | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Rose highlights major champ group | Tee times
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Nine-year-old shoots 58 in junior tournament
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a true friend
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path