Martin Davis is the historian for Golf Channel. A.W. Tillinghast has been credited with the design of the Black Course at Bethpage State Park for many years but there is a lot of evidence that Joseph Burbeck deserves a lot of credit for the design. However, there is a great similarity between the design elements of the Black Course and his other great courses including Ridgewood Country Club and San Francisco Golf Club. Davis said that he gives Burbeck plenty of credit for The Black Course but it is not as though Tillinghast did not have significant input.
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller expects Garcia controversy to 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Palmer answers challenge | At a glance | Scores
- Stars stumble in BMW PGA | 41 by Rory | Scores
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' cameo
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Anchor lawyer: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Sr. PGA Champ. | Scores
- LPGA Bahamas going 12 holes in Rd. 1 | Tee times
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots