Heading into the 2012 Barclays, he was 49th on the Points List whereas in 2011 he was the FedExCup Points Leader entering The Barclays. He has figured that it does not matter where you are on the Points List in the Playoffs as long as you are in the Playoffs and you play well at the right times.
He has worked with Butch Harmon for a very long time and they are friends as well as teacher & student. Harmon encouraged Watney to go talk to Darrell Kestner last week if he wanted to get another perspective on his short game. Kestner is a well-known teaching pro in New York and Watney said that Harmon was nothing but supportive of the decision and he was happy that he decided to go see Darrell.
He would obviously love to be on the U.S. Ryder Cup team but up until a week ago, he did not think that that would be possible because to be perfectly honest, he had not done anything on the golf course to merit a pick. Now that he has won, he feels that he has a chance with another good week in Boston and he is just happy to be a part of the discussion. As for what finish he needs this week, he is not exactly sure what the minimum is but he knows that he needs to play well to even have a chance.
He was not included in Davis Love III’s dinner for Ryder Cup contenders during the PGA Championship because he was not among the top 15 or 20 players on the Points List. He would have loved to have been at the dinner but he was not ranked high enough at that time to merit an invitation.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Garcia makes racist remark regarding Woods
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Uihlein's amazing journey | Tour on fans calling in
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Pettersson asks for 'a few days' | Pavin's take
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth