GolfChannel.com Senior Writer Randall Mell is at Crooked Stick Golf Club this week for the BMW Championship. This is the 6th year of the FedExCup Playoffs and because Rory and Tiger keep crossing paths in the media center, practice range, and the course, this could be the best year in the short history of the FedExCup. Rivalries are forged in Major Championships but it would be very helpful for the PGA TOUR if it can be said that the rivalry began during the FedExCup Playoffs.
Mell spoke with Steve Stricker who is very excited to be a part of the 2012 Ryder Cup team in Chicago. Because he grew up in and still lives in Wisconsin, he considers this year’s Ryder Cup to be a home game and he is looking forward to playing in front of the very passionate midwest fans.
It was a bit awkward on Tuesday when Hunter Mahan came to the practice range on the day when it was announced that he would not be a part of the U.S. Ryder Cup team. Some players were offering him their condolences while others were giving Mahan his space. During his news conference, Mahan said that he felt empty by the news and that the upcoming events did not feel as important to him after not making the Ryder Cup team.
This is a Pete Dye design and not only is it weird that the players are not criticizing the course, but it is also weird that players are saying that they actually like the golf course. Whenever a big event is played on a Pete Dye course, there always seems to be various levels of criticism against it. However, that is not the case this year.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- LIVE STREAM: Senior PGA Championship, Round 1
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Crowne Plaza | Senior PGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia: Remark 'stupid'; apologizes to Woods
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Anchoring attorney: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' cameo
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Back-nine 41 dooms McIlroy's BMW PGA opener
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- U.S. Open champ respectfully disagrees with USGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Instruction: Tips to strike your putts more solidly