Rex Hoggard is in Abu Dhabi this week covering the Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship for GolfChannel.com. World #3 Rory McIlroy played 9 holes with Tiger Woods yesterday and Rex spoke to him earlier today. Rory told Rex that he found it very interesting how their practice round got set up because it started with a very low key question from Tiger. Rory noticed how well Tiger was hitting the ball and how good he was feeling and he had a great time playing with Tiger on Tuesday.
Luke Donald has changed 12 of his 14 clubs from 2011 and it is shocking mainly because he is World #1 and because he had so much success last year. His putter and his hybrid are the only clubs held over from last year while everything else is different. However, we should not be surprised because Luke likes to tinker with his clubs although 12 of 14 clubs is more than what he has usually done.
World #4 Martin Kaymer considered joining the PGA TOUR in 2012 but he ultimately did not join Lee Westwood and Rory McIlroy in taking up membership this year. Kaymer put the two schedules together and could not come up with a formula that would allow dual membership to work. Kaymer wants to make sure he is ready for all four Majors this year and he also mentioned to Rex that he would like to see Tim Finchem reduce the minimum of events that PGA TOUR members must play.
Sergio Garcia had a great comeback season in 2011 where he played well in the Majors and won twice in Spain. Watching him on the practice range, Rex could see how much fun Sergio was having out there and it is great to see him enjoying himself on the golf course again.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path