Steve Stricker is leading by 5 shots after 54 holes in his first start in 2012. Rex considers it a big surprise because of the fact that Stricker struggled with a pretty serious neck injury throughout 2011 that was so bad that there a question of whether or not he would even be able to play in the Presidents Cup. He has had a couple of cortisone shots and following rehab during December, he said he was ready to play at Kapalua and he is proving it so far.
Lucas Glover had to withdraw after straining a ligament in his right knee while paddle boarding in the ocean in Hawaii. After talking to Glover’s manager, Rex noted that Davis Love III had jokingly asked that Lucas refrain from such dangerous activities as paddle boarding in the ocean. Glover had not planned on playing the Humana Challenge while originally playing in the Sony Open but due to this injury and the shortened prep time, he may flip the two.
Right now, 19 of 28 players (including Lucas Glover) are planning to head over to Waialae CC from Kapalua to play in the Sony Open and in terms of percentages, it is about the same as it has been in past years and while the Monday finish has not helped the Sony Open, it has not hurt it either.
Based on reaction on Twitter, Rex said that he is getting the feeling that many people will not be able to catch a lot of the tournament today following work but it will be interesting to see what the ratings are this year with the event running against the NFL on the weekend and running before the BCS Championship during Monday afternoon into the early evening. The quality of the field is ultimately the bigger issue when it comes to the Hyundai TOC as it does not really matter when the tournament starts or ends, but it does matter when it comes to having the strongest field possible.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- LIVE STREAM: Pure Silk-Bahamas LPGA Classic
- SCORING: Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA Bahamas
- Westy in position for first BMW PGA win | Scores
- Overton DQ'd for using putting aid | Clark in mix
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Colonial's Rd. 2 concludes with Kuchar on top
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Senior PGA lead
- Pettersen trails Bowie Young at Bahamas LPGA
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots