When asked about Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson and how they may have been paid for playing in The Greenbrier Classic, Hoggard said that the way the payment happened clearly does not violate PGA TOUR rules although there are still concerns. Payments like this increase the separation between the haves and the have-nots on the PGA TOUR and that can become a long-term problem. When he spoke with Ty Votaw about why appearance fees are illegal on the PGA TOUR, Votaw said that the PGA TOUR wants to avoid what has happened in tennis in that there is the impression – true or not – that big name players who receive appearance fees will purposely play poorly to leave early with their guaranteed money if they do not feel like staying around to try to win.
There have been three different proposals in relation to the new Web.com/PGA TOUR qualification process in 2013. Hoggard spoke with Davis Love III who is on the PGA TOUR Policy Board who said that the reason the decision is taking some time is because the PGA TOUR needs to get this policy right the first time and they need to be united. One question has involved how many players in the top 25 on the Web.com Tour Money List should be guaranteed PGA TOUR regardless of performance in the three-event series. The proposed number has varied between 1 and 25 and there is clearly desire to make sure that Web.com Tour players in the top 25 get on the PGA TOUR.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- LIVE STREAM: Crowne Plaza Invit., Round 1
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Crowne Plaza | Senior PGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia: Remark 'stupid'; apologizes to Woods
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Anchoring attorney: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' cameo
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Back-nine 41 dooms McIlroy's BMW PGA opener
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- U.S. Open champ respectfully disagrees with USGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Instruction: Tips to strike your putts more solidly