When it comes to Webb Simpson’s short game, he spoke with Simpson’s caddie Paul Tesori who told Hoggard that he was stunned that Simpson was able to pull off such an amazing shot from off the green in a hole on the 72nd hole on Sunday. Simpson has spent a great deal of time on his short game and that effort paid off last week.
Patrick Cantlay just finished his sophomore year at UCLA and made the cut in the U.S. Open but he is likely to turn pro this week at the Travelers Championship. Cantlay did not confirm this to Hoggard but numerous sources have said that Cantlay has already decided to turn pro and that he will sign with Tiger Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg for representation. The PGA TOUR will give Cantlay six Sponsor’s Exemptions to try to earn enough money to avoid Q-School which is the main reason why Cantlay decided to leave UCLA early in the first place. The changes to the qualification process will likely result in college players leaving early because they do not want to spend a year on the Nationwide Tour if they are good enough to qualify for the PGA TOUR.
In his second visit to Monday’s Morning Drive, Hoggard said when he was following Jim Furyk and Graeme McDowell in the final round, he was struck by how they are both great examples of U.S. Open Champions but at different times both of them played to type and yet at other times they played against type. The wind picked up during the round and it had an impact on the performances of both players as they did not win at the end of the day.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- LIVE STREAM: Watch Lexi, Korda in Mobile
- SCORING: Bradley leads by 1 | Mobile Bay LPGA
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- McIlroy leaves agent, forms firm | Timeline
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process