The weather was to say the very least challenging during the RICOH Women’s British Open but that was to be expected when the event was moved to September because of the Summer Olympics in London. You could see the exhaustion on the faces of all of the players by the end of the 36-hole day on Sunday as the conditions left the players tired and out of gas.
U.S. Ryder Cup Captain Davis Love III is heavily involved in the course setup at Medinah and he is taking a page from Paul Azinger’s playbook by having short rough on the course. Love III agrees with Azinger that it is a good idea to allow the longer U.S. hitters to take advantage of their length off of the tee.
The economy in all of Europe is struggling and Spain has been hit hardest. The Andalucia Masters which was to have been held in October was cancelled due to lack of funds. The event in Andalucia is the fourth Spanish tournament to be cancelled for 2012 due to lack of money. It is always surprising to see events be cancelled but it is really shocking to see four events in one country cancelled within the same year.
There are good and bad missed cuts and Jeff Klauk had a good one on the Web.com Tour. After missing six months due to brain surgery to try to fix a problem with seizures, he shot 71-69 to miss the cut in the Albertsons Boise Open. He has a Major Medical Exemption and will play in the upcoming Web.com Tour event in Ponte Vedra Beach where he grew up and where his father Fred was the longtime course superintendent at TPC Sawgrass.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Video: Rose on 'Dan Patrick Show' | Travelers
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Rose on NBC's 'Today' | Used 'force' at Merion
- Nine-year-old shoots 58 in junior tournament
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Woods' major futility | Stuck on 14 | Tracker
- Others race to try Rose's putter | What's in the bag?
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- U.S. Open: Articles, videos, pics | Coverage | Social
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path