Marco Dawson went through Q-School in 2011 to get his PGA TOUR card back and he is now in a position where he needs a hail mary just to keep his card for 2013. Dawson began the week 216th on the PGA TOUR Money List and his first round of 62 is his best round in 2012 by four strokes. This is a great start but Dawson understands that he needs three more great rounds this week if he is to have any chance of keeping his PGA TOUR card.
Davis Love III is using a long putter this week although he is not anchoring the putter during the stroke. The 2012 U.S. Ryder Cup Captain played very well on Thursday and he has been experimenting with using longer putters in an effort to improve his game at the age of 48. And as we saw on Thursday, there is evidence that it is working.
The McGladrey Classic, which is hosted by Davis Love III, has a very relaxed atmosphere that is similar to the RBC Heritage. Most of the field is thoroughly enjoying everything about this tournament this week although the players who need a great performance to keep their PGA TOUR cards are not thinking about how great the atmosphere is.
His performance in this event in 2011 helps Bud Cauley earn his PGA TOUR card while avoiding Q-School straight out of college and he returns to Sea Island Golf Club this week with an opportunity to become an even more serious contender for Rookie of the Year honors. He is tied for the first round lead with Marco Dawson after a 62 and it will be interesting to see if he can keep up the strong performance.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Johnson edges Korda, Phatlum in Mobile | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play