Sands is in Abu Dhabi this week to cover the Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship for Golf Channel. Tiger Woods will be grouped with Luke Donald and Rory McIlroy for the first two rounds in Abu Dhabi and Sands feels that the tournament did World #2 Lee Westwood a service by not putting him in the middle of the chaos that is sure to surround Tiger, Luke, and Rory but especially Tiger in his first appearance in Abu Dhabi. Westwood will be able to focus on his game without too much fanfare.
The people at Abu Dhabi Golf Club reconstructed the clubhouse a few years ago to include a large falcon and the image of the clubhouse and falcon is now one of the most iconic on the European Tour.
With so many great players in the field this week, it has the feel of a huge event even though it is only January. In his opinion, he has felt that Abu Dhabi has been the unofficial start of the world golf season in large part because it always seems to fall during the bye week between the Championship Games and the Super Bowl. A lot of American media, including Golf Channel, are in Abu Dhabi this week and the presence of so many people in the world media gives the event an electricity that is unique at events around the world.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Crowne Plaza | Senior PGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia: Remark 'stupid'; apologizes to Woods
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Colonial reax: Garcia remark | Singh, anchor
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- U.S. Open champ respectfully disagrees with USGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Fowler plans to donate $100K to tornado relief
- Instruction: Tips to strike your putts more solidly