No one thought that the weather at Royal Lytham & St. Annes would be this benign for the first round. There is no wind and no rain today and as a result, the course is defenseless. Tiger Woods has gotten off to a great start and whenever he is playing well, you can feel it because you start hearing the loud roars. He is definitely generating a lot of noise early.
Bubba Watson is playing very well on Thursday and his attitude this week is completely different than what it was during the U.S. Open. At The Olympic Club, it seemed as though he had given up on himself before the first round even began. This week, he seemed to understand that he may have to alter his usual game plan and he stated that he was ready to do so. However, the course is so defenseless in the first round that he can return to his usual routine of playing aggressively.
While the weather is very calm early on, the forecast says that there is supposed to be more wind later in the afternoon. Although the winds are supposed to rise to about 15 miles per hour, that is not enough to defend the course from the best players in the world. The winds are supposed to reach their peak on Sunday.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Tiger: No desire to clear the air with Garcia
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Mickelson to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Teater leads British Open qualifier; Guthrie 1 back
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae