2012 Greenbrier Classic Champion Ted Potter, Jr. joined Morning Drive live from the John Deere Classic. Entering the tournament last week, he had missed five straight cuts and he was just trying to stay focused on his swing so he could figure out what he was doing wrong. It felt great to figure it out and play so well.
Of all of the perks that have come with winning on the PGA TOUR, he has not been able to pick the best one because it has not entirely set in yet. He is very excited to be making his Major Championship debut next week in The Open Championship and he is very relieved that he has his passport.
Coming off of a win, he is very excited to be playing this week in large part because he believes in continuing to play when things are going well. Playing well creates confidence and he feels that the more you play well, the more confidence you gain and the best way to maximize confidence is to play as many events as possible.
The Web.com Tour and the PGA TOUR are equally difficult in the sense that if you are not exempt, you are competing against a lot of great players and you are under a lot of pressure to play well enough not only to win, but just to make a living. Just as it was an incredible relief to win on the Web.com Tour in 2011, it is an incredible relief to win on the PGA TOUR in 2012 to gain full exempt status.
He is looking forward to going to Augusta National next year because it has been a dream of his to play in The Masters and he was very happy to hear that five of the last 10 Champions have been left-handed. His dream foursome includes Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, and Gary Player and when asked if he would ask to play a practice round with them, Potter, Jr. said that he would be very happy to play with just one of those three.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Bradley leads by 1 | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- Chella Choi leads; Nordqvist fires 61 | Scores
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process