PGA TOUR player Tim Petrovic has had his brother Stephen as his caddie in the past and Stephen is on the bag this week at the Transitions Championship. Stephen was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia last year and following chemotherapy he is now awaiting a stem cell transplant.
Right around Christmas of 2011, Stephen was not feeling well and Tim did not have a clue why his brother was feeling this bad. Stephen went to the doctor and found out that he had leukemia. Tim was on the way to Phoenix when Stephen found out and Tim received the news when he landed in Arizona and just froze in shock when he saw the l-word on his phone.
The stem cell transplant will involve 4-5 weeks in the hospital and then 9 months of home treatment. Tim tested for the transplant recently but the results showed that his stem cells had only a 25% chance of being a match for his brother. About 17 million are on this list and Tim hopes that maybe his stem cells will be determined to be a good match and he is ready to do whatever it takes for as long as it takes to help his brother because that is the least he can do. It is enough for Stephen to come visit Tim this week but to have him on the bag is extra special.
This week is a home game so Tim is also looking forward to seeing a lot of friends at Innisbrook. He has not played as well as he would have liked over the past couple of years but what Stephen is going through has put everything in perspective so people should not be surprised if he is smiling after a bogey this week.
For more information on Tim and Stephen Petrovic, read Jason Sobel’s article on the two brothers on GolfChannel.com.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Statements: PGA Tour, PGAA | LPGA | USGA
- Pettersson asks for 'a few days' | Pavin's take
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- Guan WDs from Open qualifying | Playing Memorial
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth