Ernie Els’ road to his 4th Major win begins with the 2012 Volvo Golf Champions in South Africa. Johann Rupert introduced Els to a golf vision specialist who said that she had never seen a worse putting stroke in any professional that she had worked with. His stroke improved over time but he still had a couple of painful losses in Tampa and New Orleans along with his failure to earn an invitation to The Masters. He brought Ricci Roberts back as a caddie at Hilton Head and the performances continued to improve as he was in contention to win the U.S. Open last month. It has been a long road back to the top for Els.
When you see someone with a four stroke lead in a Major, it is amazing how the intensity level changes and how certain decisions are impacted. Scott seemed to be cruising along but when he got on the bogey train he was simply unable to get off. As we have seen with Greg Norman, it is hard to recover from such a dramatic loss in a Major and Rosaforte hopes that Scott will be able to move on quickly.
In his second visit to Monday’s edition of Morning Drive, Rosaforte began by noting how much Adam Scott has progressed in his career over the past year and a half. He has four top 10s in his last 7 Majors and Rosaforte reminded everyone that a number of great Major Champions including Phil Mickelson and Payne Stewart had a number of close calls in Majors before breaking through with a win. Adam Scott has now experienced the heartbreak that nearly every Major Champion must go through and it will be interesting to see what he does next.
While he has seen Major Championship collapses, he has never seen someone bogey the last four holes. It is very different from what Jean Van de Velde went through in 1999 because he lost a 3 stroke lead on the 18th hole and did so in almost comical fashion. And while Scott lost by one, Van de Velde still had a chance to win in a playoff. So while both moments are unfortunate, they are very different.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Garcia apologizes to Woods; comment 'stupid'
- Tiger: Sergio remark 'hurtful, inappropriate'
- Garcia makes 'fried chicken' Tiger remark
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Colonial reax: Garcia's comments | Singh, anchoring
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Colonial | Tee times
- Fowler, Mahan to donate to tornado relief efforts
- Fantasy: BMW PGA, Crowne Plaza power rankings
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management
- Simpson wants bifurcation | Clark's take