Tim was in San Francisco, CA for a Boys and Girls Club event being held at The Olympic Club which is the site of the 2012 U.S. Open. Johnny Miller is also appearing at this event and it raises a lot of money for a great cause.
When asked about the slow play penalty on the LPGA Tour, he said that he talked to both PGA TOUR official Jon Brendle and LPGA Tour official Doug Brecht who was the one who gave Pressel the penalty. Brendle explained that on the PGA TOUR, you have to have two bad times in one round to get a one stroke penalty or a loss of hole after being put on the clock. On the LPGA Tour, a player is penalized without warning after they are put on the clock. The LPGA Tour policy is actually closer to the policy that Tiger Woods suggested during THE PLAYERS.
Jason Dufner, with two wins and a wedding, has had an unbelievable month and a great 2012 and Tim said that no one should be surprised. He is great in so many different statistical categories and on top of that, he has a great story with his start in caddying as well as his very relaxed demeanor. It is also great that he is starting to open up to fans and the media a bit more since he has become more successful.
When asked about Patrick Reed and his Monday qualifying for three PGA TOUR events, Tim said that he talked to his former Augusta State coach Josh Gregory who is not surprised at what Reed has done but thinks that this is one of the great achievements of the year. Reed has been very busy lately as he has made the cut in 3 of 4 PGA TOUR starts in 2012. He is also an alternate for U.S. Open sectional qualifying and is playing in the Open Championship qualifier in Texas today.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Statements: PGA Tour, PGAA | LPGA | USGA
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- Guan WDs from Open qualifying | Playing Memorial
- Euro captain McGinley adds third Ryder Cup pick
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth