Golf Channel Reporter Todd Lewis is in Greensboro, North Carolina this week for the Wyndham Championship. Ben Kohles, who is from Cary, North Carolina, is making his PGA TOUR debut this week after winning his first two professional starts on the Web.com Tour. Kohles seems to be very relaxed this week and he is excited to be playing. He said that he has had the chance to meet some of his favorite players this week and the entire experience has been very exciting so far.
There has been a lot of rain in the Greensboro area recently and while the fairways are soft, the bermuda rough is very thick and the greens are still running very fast. Rain is unlikely for Thursday and Friday but there is a good chance for bad weather this weekend so everyone is hoping that they can avoid storms.
Carl Pettersson is from Sweden but he moved with his family as a child to Greensboro and attended high school there before heading to N.C. State for college. He was very influential in the decision to move the Wyndham Championship from Forest Oaks Country Club to Sedgefield Country Club and has continued to be closely involved in the tournament.
He attended N.C. State with current PGA TOUR pros Tim Clark and Marc Turnesa and they all lived together in the same house in Raleigh. Tim Clark turned pro early but still lived with Pettersson and Turnesa when he was not playing tournaments. They had a lot of fun together while they were all in college and continued to have a lot of fun after Clark left N.C. State.
Many players in the field this week are raving about the new Champion Bermuda greens at Sedgefield and they think that the scores will be much higher than they have been in years past. Previously, the bentgrass greens required a lot of water to survive which made them soft and receptive to approach shots but the new greens will make it much more difficult to get close to the hole. The new greens will also serve to make the course play to its full potential this week which is great for the course and for the tournament.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Garcia apologizes to Woods | Tee times
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Z. Johnson back at Colonial | Groupings | Tee times
- Colonial reax: Garcia remark | Singh, anchor
- Fantasy: BMW PGA, Crowne Plaza power rankings
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Chapman set to defend at Senior PGA | Tee times
- Fowler plans to donate $100K to tornado relief
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management