There is a lot of conversation in Scotland about Harrington’s opening round 64 in The Barclays. Harrington knows that he has to play very well to make an impression on Captain Olazabal and while he got off to a great start, he knows that he has to keep playing well for three more days.
When asked about the relationship between Harrington and Olazabal, Humphries said that he cannot think of a time when Olazabal’s integrity was ever questioned and considering that fact, Humphries believes that Olazabal would put any personal differences aside if he felt that having Harrington on the team would give the European team a better chance to win. However, Medinah Country Club will play long so it is very likely that Olazabal is looking to add long hitters to the team.
Martin Kaymer would almost certainly prefer to work on his own game alone than play in the Ryder Cup at this point although he will most certainly give it his best if he automatically qualifies or is selected by Olazabal. The atmosphere of the Ryder Cup is very intense and that setting has been known to inspire great play in competitors who came to the Ryder Cup in poor form. Kaymer is a class act and a Major Champion and if he is on the team, he will do his absolute best to bring his best game.
Colin Montgomerie would no doubt love to return as Captain of the European team in 2014 but the odds of that happening are very small although you cannot entirely rule it out. The main reason is that there are just too many candidates for the job including Paul McGinley, Thomas Bjorn, and Darren Clarke and many feel that Montgomerie had his moment and he did a great job in 2010 but it will be time for someone else to have their moment in 2014.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller expects Garcia controversy to 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Palmer fires 62, grabs early Colonial lead | Scores
- Stars stumble in BMW PGA | 41 by Rory | Scores
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' cameo
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Anchor lawyer: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- LPGA Bahamas going 12 holes in Rd. 1 | Tee times
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots