Golf Channel scores most-watched April ever, continuing the viewership momentum built upon three consecutive years of record audience growth since becoming a part of the NBC Sports Group in 2011. For 24-hour Total Day (6AM-6AM), 130,000 average viewers per minute were tuned into Golf Channel in April, representing a 2% year-over-year increase compared to April 2013 (128,000), according to data released today by The Nielsen Company.
Golf Channel April Viewership Comparison:
2013 128,000 +2%
2012 115,000 +14%
2011 101,000 +29%
2010 86,000 +51%
This record month is especially impressive given that April 2014 did not feature Tiger Woods competing at the Masters. Golf Channel’s Masters Week coverage remained the network’s most-watched week of 2014 (160,000) and was surrounded by an average of +30% increase in viewing for the three other weeks in April. Overall, 16.5 million unique viewers tuned into Golf Channel in April, which is a 7% increase over March (when Woods last played) and the most since August 2013 (16.9 million).
VIEWERSHIP HIGHLIGHTS FOR APRIL 2014:
Golf Channel Programming:
- Arnie, Golf Channel’s critically acclaimed three-part television event showcasing the life and legacy of Arnold Palmer, featured the most-watched original premiere ever on Golf Channel with 471,000 average viewers of episode one and saw 1.9 million unique viewers across its premiere week.
- Arnie and Big Break Florida drove Monday night’s primetime viewership +29% YOY
- Golf Channel’s news programming is up with Golf Central +20% YOY and Morning Drive +24% YOY
- Golf Channel’s instructional programming is +10% YOY
Golf Channel Tournament Coverage:
- Golf Channel’s weekend lead-in coverage of the PGA TOUR’s RBC Heritage and Zurich Classic of New Orleans all posted most-watched records (RBC Heritage third round: 529,000, +1% YOY; final round: 598,000, +40% YOY; Zurich Classic of New Orleans third round: 462,000, +84% YOY; final round: 615,000, +49% YOY).
- LPGA Tourposted a +38% YOY increase in April with two significant milestones:
- LPGA Kraft Nabisco Championship’s weekend coverage posting most-watched records for this major event (484,000, +16% YOY).
- LPGA Lotte Championship’s primetime Saturday final round posting the most-watched regular season round (485,000, +108% YOY) since the Mobile Bay LPGA Classic in April 2012 (566,000).
- Coming off of his Top-5 finish in the 2014 Masters, Miguel Angel Jimenez made his Champions Tour debut by winning the Greater Gwinnet Championship, which was the most-watched Champions Tour event this season (322,000, +77% YOY).
GOLFCHANNEL.COM POSTS RECORD SITE TRAFFIC
While monthly digital traffic data is not final until the end of the calendar month, preliminary reports show that GolfChannel.com traffic through Monday, April 28 is up 53% for page views, 39% for unique visitors and 30% for video starts, compared to the entire month of April 2013. This will result in GolfChannel.com posting best-ever monthly marks for both unique visitors and video starts in the site’s history.