"It’s been a frustrating and difficult year, but I’m committed to my long-term health." - Tiger Woods, in announcing he wouldn't be playing in the U.S Open due to ongoing leg injuries.
"The excitement that he generates will be missed." - Mike Davis, U.S. Golf Association executive director, on Tiger not teeing it up at Congressional.
"Um, yes ... So, ‘Thanks, Tiger.’ I guess I’m glad he was listening to his doctors." - Michael Whitehead, a recent Rice graduate, when ask by phone if he would like to take Woods' spot in the U.S. Open field. Whitehead was an alternate after losing out in a three-man sectional qualifier in Dallas.
"We would be idiots if we extracted Mike from his U.S. Open activities." - USGA president Jim Hyler, on allowing Mike Davis to continue to perform his U.S. Open course set up duties.
"It’s a part of the world where the development of elite players is something that we see as being an opportunity." - Ty Votaw, executive vice president of international affairs for the PGA Tour, on spearheading the Olympic effort for 2016 and trying to establish a PGA Tour-branded circuit in South America, Latin America and the Caribbean.
"I think like anybody else, Steve doesn’t want to miss a major, just like Tiger doesn’t want to miss a major." - Mark Steinberg, after news broke about Adam Scott using Steve Williams as his caddie at the U.S. Open.
"Will you stop calling me Mr. Palmer? You make me sound old!" - Arnold Palmer, to 'Morning Drive' co-hosts Gary Williams and Erik Kuselias, when in the studio last Tuesday to talk about all things golf.
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Woods' major futility | Stuck on 14 | Tracker
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- Six flak: Lefty's Open runners-up | Posnanski
- Video: Rose on 'Dan Patrick Show' | Travelers
- WWL: Nice guy finishes first | OWGR No. 3
- Grill Room: Jungle Bird banned, misses U.S. Open
- Merion in 2021? | Tricky, appreciated | Dramatic
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of Week
- Rose wins for late dad | Hogan would've been proud
- U.S. Open: Articles, videos, pics | Coverage | Social
- Instruction: Play smart and patient like Rose