Rain Wipes Out Play Yet Again


AUGUSTA, Ga. -- The weather problems continued Friday at the 69th Masters Tournament as play was suspended for the day while rain and lightning lingered around Augusta National.
The opening round was completed Friday after a 5 1/2 hour weather delay led to the suspension of play on Thursday. The second round was able to get underway on Friday with a few players making moves up the leaderboard, but inclement weather ultimately halted play at 12:42 p.m. ET.
The second round will resume at 8:30 a.m. on Saturday at Augusta National and the 36-hole cut will follow.
England's David Howell was on fire before play was suspended on Friday. Howell started on the back side and tallied back-to-back birdies from the 10th to reach 2 under. He then birdied the par-5 13th and added back-to-back birdies starting at the par-5 15th to grab a share of the lead at minus-5.
Fellow countryman Luke Donald, who like Howell is making his Masters debut, completed a round of 68 Friday morning. He then got his second round started with a birdie at the par-5 second to move to 5 under before play was called.
First-round leader Chris DiMarco had just gotten his second round underway before play was suspended. DiMarco stands at 5 under par through one.
World No. 1 Vijay Singh has yet to post a score in his second round and stands at 4 under par.
Mark Hensby parred his first seven holes in the second round to remain at minus-3. Stuart Appleby is also at 3 under but has not posted a score in Round 2.
Defending champion Phil Mickelson is playing alongside Appleby and amateur Ryan Moore. Mickelson stands at 2 under while Moore, the 2004 U.S. Amateur champion, is one shot further back at minus-1.
Two-time U.S. Open champion Retief Goosen struggled to a bogey at the par-3 12th and stands at even par through three holes in his second round.
Three-time Masters champion Tiger Woods had some bad breaks on Thursday, including a bogey at the par-5 13th after a lengthy eagle putt rolled off the green and into the water. Woods also bogeyed the par-4 first after his approach hit the flag. After play was called on Thursday, Woods nearly suffered a penalty at the 14th for standing in line with his putt when he tapped in for par. It was determined that Woods was not at fault, however.
Woods completed a round of 74 on Friday and remains at 2 over through one hole in his second round. Ernie Els also struggled in round one with a 75 and has yet to post a score in his second round.
Related Links:
  • Masters Photo Gallery
  • Full Coverage - The Masters Tournament