Great golf surrounds the Atlanta area, and we're not just talking about famed private clubs like Augusta National, Atlanta Athletic Club and East Lake, site of the Tour Championship presented by Coca-Cola.
Courses, both private and public, abound in all corners of the Atlanta metro area, not to mention a collection of resorts. For golfers unfamiliar with the scene, it can be tough to pinpoint exactly where to start. We've asked area GolfNow golfers to rate their experiences, who have been busy this past year offering their opinions of the area golf scene. The result is over 5,000 reviews of nearly 150 courses in Atlanta and the surrounding area.
Local Leaderboard: Top 10 courses in Atlanta
1. Brasstown Valley (4.67/5.0): It seems that Atlanta golfers have no problem making the trek from the city north to the Blue Ridge Mountains for a round at Brasstown Valley. Raters praise the fantastic conditions and scenery, and not to mention a pace of play that is often less than three-and-a-half hours.
2. The Georgia Club (4.64/5.0):Raters relish in the fact this 27-hole member's club offers limited public play and delivers exceptional service and conditions.
3. Crystal Falls Golf Club (4.62/5.0): Located north of town on the way to the Blue Ridge Mountains, Crystal Falls earns high marks for value, conditions and service. It's isolated, forested setting on 400 acres puts it over the top.
'I wish I could play here three times a week,' wrote GolfNow player myoung9381. 'The greens were fantastic, rolling about a 10 and very smooth. There is a nice flow to the layout, very scenic. It wasn't crowded at all so pace of play was quick.'
4. Kingwood Golf Club & Resort (4.61/5.0): Kingwood delivers bent grass green and splendid mountain views. It also checks in as one of the area's best in terms of value, conditions and staff friendliness.
5. Achasta Golf Club (4.58/5.0): Area golfers love this semi-private Jack Nicklaus design set along tree-lined ridges.
'This thing is a scenic monster course set down in the old gold fields of Dahlonega along the Chestatee River,' wrote GolfNow user Emputney3. 'Long and well bunkered - but not impossible.'
The rest of the Atlanta Top Ten
6. Providence Club (4.46/5.0)
7. The Manor Golf & Country Club (4.43/5.0)
8. Monroe Golf & Country Club (4.39/5.0)
9. Coweta Club (4.37/5.0)
10. Lane Creek Golf Club (4.35/5.0)
Results compiled Sept 15th, 2013. Minimum 30 ratings needed for courses to be eligible.