#ValueGolf deals and getaways this weekend
- By Matt Ginella
- Feb 14, 2013 12:37 PM ET
Every Thursday on "Morning Drive", I'll be highlighting worthy weekend deals in golf.
Today I discussed five destinations in four states: Nevada, Texas, Alabama and Florida.
1. Why is GolfNow so popular? Knowing the weather in Vegas this weekend – temperatures will be in the upper 60s – I searched one of my favorites, Paiute's Wolf course, built by Pete Dye. If you want to play before 1:00 p.m., you'll pay $117. Wait until the 1:12 tee time, which was available as of last night, you'll pay $67.
There are three courses at Paiute, it's about 35 minutes from the strip, and they cater to group outings and buddies trips, who tend to make good use of the beverage cart and the spacious 19th hole.
2. Last week I talked about a sweet deal at Barton Creek in Austin, Texas. This week – this weekend – consider a trip to San Antonio, where the Golf Index is a nine.
TPC San Antonio is offering the "Winter Golf Special." For $550 per person, you get:
• Two nights at the JW Marriott (third night is free)
• One round on the Oaks (Greg Norman, and host of the Valero Texas Open)
• One round on the Canyons (Pete Dye)
• One complimentary arrival round on either course
The Oaks is a better course for low handicappers. The Canyons – and I can't believe I'm saying this about a designer notorious for testing the best – is a user-friendly resort course. Weather will be in the upper 60s.
3. To play Kiva Dunes, which is a Jerry Pate design located on the Gulf Coast, is almost $100 in peak season. The host of last year's Alabama State Amateur is $79 thru Feb. 24 (and $65 after noon). Temperatures on the coast will be cool this weekend. The better weather day looks like Sunday.
4. Staying in Alabama, but jumping up to mother of all 11 destinations on the RTJ Trail, the "Winter Magic Special" is essentially a two-for-one.
Pay $150 and get a round at Ross Bridge, host of Regions Charity Classic on the Champions Tour, and a round at Oxmoor Valley, which is down the street. The deal includes carts and range balls. Weather near Birmingham will also be better on Sunday. (Peak-season green fee at Ross Bridge is usually $125).
5. And finally, take a look at PGA Golf Club's "Spring Training Special." Through March, you get one night of lodging and one round of golf for $187 per person. Pick 18 holes from one of three courses designed by either Tom Fazio or Pete Dye. Weather in Port St. Lucie, home of the Mets, will be in the 70s on Saturday; low 60s on Sunday.
More deals next Thursday on "Morning Drive" and here on GolfChannel.com. If you know of a deal worth passing on, tweet it to me @MattGinellaGC and include #valuegolf.
Travel expert Matt Ginella has scanned the internet for top deals at his favorite courses around South Florida, including the Doral Resort, Crandon and Country Club of Miami. Read More
Mid-December is a fabulous time for golf in Scottsdale. While temperatures and course conditions are near-perfect, green fees are a bargain, some 30-50% off spring peak season rates. Read More
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- Karlsson puts yips behind, qualifies for British Open
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae