Aussies lead as Daly sent packing

By Associated PressDecember 5, 2008, 5:00 pm
COOLUM, Australia ' Jarrod Lyle tied the course record with a 9-under-par 63 Friday to take a share of the second-round lead with fellow Australian Mathew Goggin at the Australian PGA championship.
 
Lyle and Goggin, who shot 68 Friday, are at 9-under 135.
 
Paul Sheehan, a co-leader after the first round, was one shot back in third after a 70 Friday.
 
Six players, including last weeks Australian Masters winner Rod Pampling (67), were tied for fourth at 7 under. Australian Nathan Green, who had a hole-in-one on the par-3 11th, shot 68 and was in a group three strokes back.
 
John Daly, who was making his first appearance here since throwing his ball and putter into a pond off the 18th green in 2002, bogeyed his first three holes Friday and missed the cut after shooting a 77 for a 4-over 148.
 
Six groups completed their second rounds Saturday morning, and the cut was made at even-par 144. Defending champion Peter Lonard, at 1 over after a 75 Friday, also did not qualify for the weekend.
 
Six years ago, Daly was disqualified for failing to sign for a 78 on his scorecard, but would have missed the cut anyway. Daly also missed the cut last week at the Australian Masters at Melbourne. He is scheduled to play next weeks Australian Open at Royal Sydney.
 
On Friday, he was subdued after taking a seven on 18 ' putting two balls in the water when he knew he needed at least a birdie to make the cut. He was plagued by putting problems all week.
 
Daly only decided a few weeks ago to play here, but the move by organizers to secure him paid dividends ' attendance for the first two days was up nearly 5,000 from last year, despite threatening weather Friday and a late afternoon suspension due to a thunderstorm on Thursday.
 
The 27-year-old Lyle had nine birdies in his second round, but also had two in six holes to complete his first round early Friday morning, giving him 11 birdies in 24 holes on the day.
 
Lyle, who spent nearly a year in a hospital in 1999 with leukemia, was one of 78 golfers who had to complete their first rounds Friday due to an early finish Thursday because of storms that hit the Hyatt Regency resort course.
 
He joins five others, including Goggin, who have shot 63 on the course. The others are Australians Stuart Appleby, Wade Ormsby, and Nick OHern and American Bob Estes.
 
Lyle lost his PGA Tour card in 2007 after qualifying via the Nationwide Tour the year before. This year, he returned to the Nationwide Tour and finished fourth on the money list after two wins, again elevating him to the big tour.
 
I think what happened to me last year was possibly the best thing that could have happened to me, Lyle said of losing his card. Getting out there, playing bad, seeing what I have to do to succeed at that level and then coming back.
 
Not that its been all perfect ' he had a heated discussion with his father, John, over dinner on Thursday night.
 
I pretty much had an argument with him about everything Im doing and something kind of snapped in me, Lyle said. He wants me to play a little bit more aggressive and I think maybe I have dropped off in my aggression.
 
He took his fathers advice.
 
I think today I was perfect, Lyle said. I went at the flags when it was on and when there were shots that werent on I just tried to give myself a putt. And I holed a couple of those myself.
 
Related Links:
  • Leaderboard - Australian PGA Championship
  • Full Coverage - Australian PGA Championship
  • Getty Images

    Weather extends Barbasol to Monday finish

    By Associated PressJuly 23, 2018, 12:25 am

    NICHOLASVILLE, Ky. - A thunderstorm has suspended the fourth round of the PGA Tour's Barbasol Championship until Monday morning.

    Sunday's third stoppage of play at Champions Trace at Keene Trace Golf Club came with the four leaders - Hunter Mahan, Robert Streb, Tom Lovelady and Troy Merritt at 18 under par - and four other contenders waiting to begin the round.

    The tournament will resume at 7:30 a.m. on Monday. Lightning caused one delay, and play was stopped earlier in the afternoon to clear water that accumulated on the course following a morning of steady and sometimes-heavy rain.

    Inclement weather has plagued the tournament throughout the weekend. The second round was completed Saturday morning after being suspended by thunderstorms late Friday afternoon.

    The resumption will mark the PGA Tour's second Monday finish this season. Jason Day won the Farmers Insurance Open in January after darkness delayed the sixth playoff hole, and he needed just 13 minutes to claim the victory.

    Getty Images

    Watch: Spectator films as Woods' shot hits him

    By Will GrayJuly 23, 2018, 12:07 am

    It was a collision watched by millions of fans on television, and one that came at a pivotal juncture as Tiger Woods sought to win The Open. It also gave Colin Hauck the story of a lifetime.

    Hauck was among dozens of fans situated along the left side of the 11th hole during the final round at Carnoustie as the pairing of Woods and Francesco Molinari hit their approach shots. After 10 holes of nearly flawless golf, Woods missed the fairway off the tee and then pulled his iron well left of the target.

    The ball made square contact with Hauck, who hours later tweeted a video showing the entire sequence - even as he continued to record after Woods' shot sent him tumbling to the ground:

    The bounce initially appeared fortuitous for Woods, as his ball bounded away from thicker rough and back toward the green. But an ambitious flop shot came up short, and he eventually made a double bogey to go from leading by a shot to trailing by one. He ultimately shot an even-par 71, tying for sixth two shots behind Molinari.

    For his efforts as a human shield, Hauck received a signed glove and a handshake from Woods - not to mention a firsthand video account that will be sure to spark plenty of conversations in the coming years.

    Getty Images

    Molinari retirement plan: coffee, books and Twitter

    By Will GrayJuly 22, 2018, 9:35 pm

    After breaking through for his first career major, Francesco Molinari now has a five-year exemption on the PGA Tour, a 10-year exemption in Europe and has solidified his standing as one of the best players in the world.

    But not too long ago, the 35-year-old Italian was apparently thinking about life after golf.

    Shortly after Molinari rolled in a final birdie putt to close out a two-shot victory at The Open, fellow Tour player Wesley Bryan tweeted a picture of a note that he wrote after the two played together during the third round of the WGC-HSBC Champions in China in October. In it, Bryan shared Molinari's plans to retire as early as 2020 to hang out at cafes and "become a Twitter troll":

    Molinari is active on the social media platform, with more than 5,600 tweets sent out to nearly 150,000 followers since joining in 2010. But after lifting the claret jug at Carnoustie, it appears one of the few downsides of Molinari's victory is that the golf world won't get to see the veteran turn into a caffeinated, well-read troll anytime soon.

    Getty Images

    Molinari had previously avoided Carnoustie on purpose

    By Rex HoggardJuly 22, 2018, 9:17 pm

    CARNOUSTIE, Scotland – Sometimes a course just fits a player’s eye. They can’t really describe why, but more often than not it leads to solid finishes.

    Francesco Molinari’s relationship with Carnoustie isn’t like that.

    The Italian played his first major at Carnoustie, widely considered the toughest of all The Open venues, in 2007, and his first impression hasn’t really changed.

    “There was nothing comforting about it,” he said on Sunday following a final-round 69 that lifted him to a two-stroke victory.


    Full-field scores from the 147th Open Championship

    Full coverage of the 147th Open Championship


    In fact, following that first exposure to the Angus coast brute, Molinari has tried to avoid Carnoustie, largely skipping the Dunhill Links Championship, one of the European Tour’s marquee events, throughout his career.

    “To be completely honest, it's one of the reasons why I didn't play the Dunhill Links in the last few years, because I got beaten up around here a few times in the past,” he said. “I didn't particularly enjoy that feeling. It's a really tough course. You can try and play smart golf, but some shots, you just have to hit it straight. There's no way around it. You can't really hide.”

    Molinari’s relative dislike for the layout makes his performance this week even more impressive considering he played his last 37 holes bogey-free.

    “To play the weekend bogey-free, it's unthinkable, to be honest. So very proud of today,” he said.