Glover leads Zurich; Guan, 14, makes cut

By Associated PressApril 27, 2013, 12:51 am

AVONDALE, La. – Lucas Glover smoothly rolled in an 18-foot birdie putt on his final hole Friday, giving him the outright lead in the Zurich Classic – and showing he has regained his touch on the greens.

Distancing himself from the putting problems that sabotaged good ball-striking rounds, Glover shot a 5-under 67 to reach 12 under and take a one-stroke lead over Boo Weekley.

''I've been hitting it good for a couple months and finally started making some putts,'' said Glover, the 2009 U.S. Open winner who won the last of his three PGA Tour titles in 2011. ''I mean, I was hitting it as good as I can hit it. But at the same time, if you putt poorly. ...''

Weekley had a 68. He holed out with a wedge from 105 yards for an eagle on the par-4 10th, his first hole in the second round at TPC Louisiana.

''I couldn't tell it went in because it's got a little bit of an upper lip in the front of it,'' Weekley said. ''I saw it bounce, and then I didn't see it no more. Then the people in the background started hollering and whooping. I was like, 'Wow, that really went in.' I didn't believe it.''


Highlights: Glover leads in New Orleans

Round 2 at a glance

Zurich Classic: Articles, videos and photos


Guan Tianlang, the 14-year-old Chinese amateur playing on a sponsor exemption, followed his opening 72 with a 69 finish at 3 under to make the cut. He tied for 58th two weeks ago in the Masters after becoming the youngest player to make the cut at Augusta National, and said Thursday that he will play in a U.S. Open qualifier in two weeks in Dallas.

''I think I played a very good round today,'' Guan said. ''I made a lot of birdies and a couple of good up and downs.''

Glover missed the cuts in three of his past four events, mainly because of the putting woes.

''Obviously, making a lot of them to make that many birdies,'' Glover said. ''But a few hiccups today, but you get that here. You get out of position, and it's hard to make par. But luckily I've been in position more than not. So I'm pretty pleased with my play.''

He's working with putting instructor Dave Stockton Jr.

''We've been working for about seven months,'' Glover said. ''Used a little bit of, or took what he gave me, and took some of my own stuff with my setup just to get comfortable and stable and still doing what we work on.''

Glover had 49 putts in the first rounds, 11 on the front nine Friday when he made the turn in 4-under 32. He birdied the first two holes with putts of 3 and 6 feet, and added birdies on the fifth and 11th holes.

He got to 12 under with a short birdie putt on the 13th, but a poor chip from the right side of the green on the par-3 17th green led to bogey. He then rebounded with the 18-footer on the par-5 18th.

''Getting off to a good start at this course is pretty important because 17 coming in, nine coming in, depending on which side you play first, I had about an 8-footer on 2, after a good bunker shot then a tough read,'' Glover said. ''I had the break going one way, the green going the other, and I made that one. That was a good feeling to birdie the first two, two good reads, two good strokes and I just kind of felt like that got me going.''

D.A. Points was 10 under after a 68. Morgan Hoffmann was three strokes back at 9 under after a 69, and Ernie Els had a 69 to reach 8 under. Els lost a playoff to Jason Dufner last year in the event.

''I like the course.'' Els said. ''I obviously played well here last year and I'm just trying to set that same game plan and really wait for the course to come to me.''

Bubba Watson, the 2011 winner, rebounded from an opening 73 with a 65 to reach 6 under.

''It was good,'' Watson said. ''Yesterday, I played really scared. I'm trying to play good. When you do that you don't hit quality shots and you just struggle.''

Dufner was 3 under after a 71.

NOTES: Keegan Bradley missed the cut, shooting 69-74. .... Watson appeared upset after a fan took a photo apparently as he hit his second shot on the par-4 12th. Watson walked several yards back down the fairway to point out the person to security personnel.

Getty Images

Poulter offers explanation in dispute with marshal

By Will GrayJuly 15, 2018, 6:47 pm

Ian Poulter took to Twitter to offer an explanation after the Englishman was accused of verbally abusing a volunteer during the third round of the Scottish Open.

Poulter hooked his drive on the opening hole at Gullane Golf Club into a bush, where Quintin Jardine was working as a marshal. Poulter went on to find the ball, wedge out and make bogey, but the details of the moments leading up to his second shot differ depending on who you ask.

Jardine wrote a letter to the tournament director that he also turned into a colorfully-titled blog post, accusing Poulter of berating him for not going into the bush "feet first" in search of the ball since Poulter would have received a free drop had his ball been stepped on by an official.


Full-field scores from the ASI Scottish Open


"I stood and waited for the player. It turned out to be Mr. Poulter, who arrived in a shower of expletives and asked me where his ball was," Jardine wrote. "I told him and said that I had not ventured into the bush for fear of standing on it. I wasn't expecting thanks, but I wasn't expecting aggression, either."

Jardine added that Poulter stayed to exchange heated words with the volunteer even after wedging his ball back into the fairway. After shooting a final-round 69 to finish in a tie for 30th, Poulter tweeted his side of the story to his more than 2.3 million followers:

Poulter, 42, won earlier this year on the PGA Tour at the Houston Open and is exempt into The Open at Carnoustie, where he will make his 17th Open appearance. His record includes a runner-up at Royal Birkdale in 2008 and a T-3 finish at Muirfield in 2013.

Getty Images

Immelman misses Open bid via OWGR tiebreaker

By Will GrayJuly 15, 2018, 6:25 pm

A resurgent performance at the Scottish Open gave Trevor Immelman his first top-10 finish in more than four years, but it left him short of a return to The Open by the slimmest of margins.

The former Masters champ turned back the clock this week at Gullane Golf Club, carding four straight rounds of 68 or better. That run included a 5-under 65 in the final round, which gave him a tie for third and left him five shots behind winner Brandon Stone. It was his first worldwide top-10 since a T-10 finish at the 2014 Farmers Insurance Open.

There were three spots available into The Open for players not otherwise exempt, and for a brief moment it appeared Immelman, 38, might sneak the third and final invite.


Full-field scores from the ASI Scottish Open


But with Stone and runner-up Eddie Pepperell both not qualified, that left the final spot to be decided between Immelman and Sweden's Jens Dantorp who, like Immelman, tied for third at 15 under.

As has been the case with other stops along the Open Qualifying Series, the tiebreaker to determine invites is the players' standing in the Official World Golf Rankings entering the week. Dantorp is currently No. 322 in the world, but with Immelman ranked No. 1380 the Swede got the nod.

This will mark Dantorp's first-ever major championship appearance. Immelman, who hasn't made the cut in a major since the 2013 Masters, was looking to return to The Open for 10th time and first since a missed cut at Royal Lytham six years ago. He will instead work the week at Carnoustie as part of Golf Channel and NBC's coverage of The Open.

Getty Images

Stone (60) wins Scottish Open, invite to Carnoustie

By Will GrayJuly 15, 2018, 6:06 pm

There's never a bad time to shoot a 60, but Brandon Stone certainly picked an opportune moment to do so.

Facing a jammed leaderboard in the final round of the Scottish Open, Stone fired a 10-under 60 to leave a stacked field in his wake and win the biggest tournament of his career. His 20-under 260 total left him four shots clear of Eddie Pepperell and five shots in front of a group that tied for third.

Stone had a mid-range birdie putt on No. 18 that would have given him the first 59 in European Tour history. But even after missing the putt on the left, Stone tapped in to close out a stellar round that included eight birdies, nine pars and an eagle. It's his third career European Tour title but first since the Alfred Dunhill Championship in December 2016.


Full-field scores from the ASI Scottish Open


Stone started the day three shots behind overnight leader Jens Dantorp, but he made an early move with three birdies over his first five holes and five over his first 10. Stone added a birdie on the par-3 12th, then took command with a three-hole run from Nos. 14-16 that included two birdies and an eagle.

The eye-popping score from the 25-year-old South African was even more surprising considering his lack of form entering the week. Stone is currently ranked No. 371 in the world and had missed four of his last seven worldwide cuts without finishing better than T-60.

Stone was not yet qualified for The Open, and as a result of his performance at Gullane Golf Club he will tee it up next week at Carnoustie. Stone headlined a group of three Open qualifiers, as Pepperell and Dantorp (T-3) also earned invites by virtue of their performance this week. The final spot in the Open will go to the top finisher not otherwise qualified from the John Deere Classic.

Getty Images

Daly (knee) replaced by Bradley in Open field

By Will GrayJuly 15, 2018, 12:13 pm

Former champion John Daly has withdrawn from The Open because of a right knee injury and will be replaced in the field at Carnoustie by another major winner, Keegan Bradley.

Daly, 52, defeated Costantino Rocca in a memorable playoff to win the claret jug at St. Andrews in 1995. His lingering knee pain led him to request a cart during last month's U.S. Senior Open, and when that request was denied he subsequently withdrew from the tournament.

Daly then received treatment on the knee and played in a PGA Tour event last week at The Greenbrier without the use of a cart, missing the cut with rounds of 77-67. But on the eve of the season's third major, he posted to Twitter that his pain remains "unbearable" and that a second request for a cart was turned down:

This will be just the second time since 2000 that Daly has missed The Open, having also sat out the 2013 event at Muirfield. He last made the cut in 2012, when he tied for 81st at Royal Lytham. He could still have a few more chances to improve upon that record, given that past Open champions remain fully exempt until age 60.

Taking his place will be Bradley, who was first alternate based on his world ranking. Bradley missed the event last year but recorded three top-20 finishes in five appearances from 2012-16, including a T-18 finish two years ago at Royal Troon.

The next three alternates, in order, are Spain's Adrian Otaegui and Americans Aaron Wise and J.B. Holmes.