Notes Family Crisis Exemption to Benefit Duval
Duval used a one-time exemption as top 25 on the career money list to keep his card this year, but it looked as though it might go to waste when his wife was put on bed rest in February because of complications with her pregnancy. Duval felt his responsibility was at home to care for his wife and four children, and he did not play for more than seven months.
Hart withdrew from the Wachovia Championship in May when his wife became seriously ill, and he stayed home with their 5-year-old triplets as his wife recovered. She is doing better, but Hart has not played since late April.
Duval, whose daughter Sienna was born two months ago and is healthy, originally asked the tour about an extension in May and was denied based on the letter of the regulation. PGA TOUR commissioner Tim Finchem was concerned that granting an exemption in his case might open the TOUR up to a bevy of other petitions.
But after the policy board met in late May, there was enough sentiment to take another look.
'David wanted us to look past him,' said Davis Love III, a policy board member.
The result is 'family crisis' being part of the medical extension regulations, and both Duval and Hart will be eligible.
'He's treated as if he had a back injury,' said Andy Pazder, the TOUR's vice president of competition.
Duval returned to competition last week at the Viking Classic, where he tied for 44th, and he plans to play one more event in the Fall Series. His schedule next year will be based on the average number of starts among the top 125 on the money list this year.
'It's the right thing,' Duval said last week. 'I actually got thanked for bringing this up. I said to them a couple of months ago, whether they make it retroactive or not, it needs to be done.'
As for other situations that might arise? Pazder said like any medical extension request, the decision lies with Finchem.
'It's got to be a serious family crisis,' he said. 'It's a hardship caused by the illness of immediate family.'
TIGER'S MATCH-PLAY RECORD:
Tiger Woods won his first match in a professional cup competition in 1997 when he and Mark O'Meara beat Colin Montgomerie and Bernhard Langer in fourballs at Valderrama.
That was the only time Woods has had a winning record.
He lost his next two matches, and has spent the rest of his career with an aggregate losing record. Woods finally got his Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup record back to .500 with a fourballs victory at Royal Montreal with David Toms in Saturday afternoon fourballs. A victory over Mike Weir would have given Woods a winning record for the first time in 10 years.
But he lost, and now stands at 23-24-3.
That wasn't a subtle statement Phil Mickelson made by wearing soft spikes against Vijay Singh.
Their frosty relationship turned arctic two years ago at the Masters when Singh complained that Mickelson and his 8-millimeter spikes were ruining the greens. During a rain delay, they got into a heated argument in the Champions locker room at Augusta National.
Mickelson, however, said he switched over to soft spikes about the time he went to work with Butch Harmon.
'We changed my foot work,' Mickelson said. 'I started practicing in soft spikes and started playing in soft spikes in my practice round and didn't switch. What I found was it felt better on my back.'
Mickelson said he still plans to use metal spikes, but he prefers soft spikes when playing 36 holes, such as the Presidents Cup.
'I only had one shot this week were I slipped, so that's encouraging,' he said. 'When I swing harder at it, I've been all over the place in the past, and now I'm able to maintain better balance.'
Don't think metal spikes didn't cross his mind for the Sunday singles at Royal Montreal.
'I thought about it just for today,' Mickelson said. 'I thought that would be funny. But I couldn't find any.'
Lorena Ochoa needs to finish sixth or better at the Longs Drugs Challenge to become the first $3 million woman in golf. ... Charles Howell III was the only player who never reached the 18th hole at the Presidents Cup. ... Angela Park has clinched the LPGA Tour rookie of the year award. Park has six top 10s this year, and the 20-year-old Brazilian native is ninth on the money list with $847,933. ... Former USGA agronomist Tim Moraghan has launched a new company called Aspire Golf Consulting, which will provide services ranging from golf course tournament preparation to turf management to golf course planning. ... The first stage of European Tour qualifying school will be held in Scotland for the first time, played at Dundonald Links just north of Royal Troon. The links course is owned by Lyle Anderson as a sister course of Loch Lomond.
STAT OF THE WEEK:
Three players at the Presidents Cup have been medalists at Q-school -- Woody Austin (1994), Scott Verplank (1997) and Mike Weir (1998).
'For my money, he's the best competitor and friend I've had in golf.' -- Jack Nicklaus, on Gary Player.
Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
PGA Tour Latinoamerica moving season finale to Doral
PGA Tour Latinoamerica announced Wednesday that it will play its season finale, the Latinoamérica Tour Championship-Shell Championship, at Trump National Doral from Nov. 29-Dec. 2.
The limited-field event will feature the top 60 players on the circuit's money list competing on Doral's Golden Palm Course.
“We are very happy that we will continue playing the Latinoamérica Tour Championship-Shell Championship in South Florida, and Doral is a tremendous community that we know will open its arms to our players and this tournament,” PGA Tour Latinoamerica president Jack Warfield said in a statement.
The PGA Tour ended its more than 50-year relationship with Doral and the resort's Blue Monster course back in 2016, when Cadillac's title sponsorship of the World Golf Championship lapsed and as then-candidate Trump was mounting his bid for the presidency.
"We continue to stand by our earlier statement, and the statement of other golf organizations, that Mr. Trump's comments are inconsistent with our strong commitment to an inclusive and welcoming environment in the game of golf," then-PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem said in December 2015, referring to Trump's campaign rhetoric concerning Mexicans and Muslims.
The event was moved to Mexico City in 2017 and renamed the WGC-Mexico Championship.
The Latinoamerica Tour Championship was staged the last two years at Melreese Country Club in Miami, where David Beckham is currently attempting to build a stadium for his Major League Soccer expansion club, Inter Miami.
PGA Tour Latinoamerica's release states that the move to Doral "keeps the event in this part of the Sunshine State and allows the tournament to maintain its ties to The First Tee of Miami as a charitable recipient and sponsor." Melreese, the city's only public golf course, is home to the First Tee of Miami, which naturally opposes Beckham's efforts to close the facility and repurpose the land.
A November referendum will ask voters to decide if the city should negotiate a no-bid lease with Beckham's ownership group, which seeks to $1 billion dollar complex comprising of the proposed stadium, youth soccer fields, a park, commercial and retail space, and a hotel.
Im wins Web.com Player and Rookie of the Year awards
Sungjae Im on Thursday was named the Web.com Tour's 2018 Player of the Year and Rookie of the Year.
Im won twice on the Web.com this year, taking the season opener in January, The Bahamas Great Exuma Classic, and the season finale in August, the WinCo Foods Portland Open, to become the first player in history lead the circuit's money list wire-to-wire.
Im is the first Korean-born player to win the Web's POY award and, at 20 years old, its youngest recipient.
In a player vote, Im bested Anders Albertson, Sam Burns, Kramer Hickok and Martin Trainer, 2018's only other two-time winner, for POY honors, and Burns, Hickock, Trainer and Cameron Champ for ROY honors.
“My first year on the Web.com Tour was an incredibly happy time for me,” Im said, “and it’s pretty surreal that I was able to win the first and last tournament of the season. I honestly thought I would spend about two to three years on the Web.com Tour before making it to the PGA Tour, so I’m happy to have achieved my goal so soon. I’m grateful to have earned the Player of the Year honors and I hope to finish the remainder of the PGA Tour season on a good note.”
In his first PGA Tour start, Im tied for fourth at the Safeway Open, earning $241,280, a little less than half of the $534,326 he amassed in 25 starts as the Web's regular-season money winner.
Playing this week's CJ Cup in his native South Korea, Im opened with a 1-over 73 Thursday.
Former DJ advisor found guilty in embezzlement case
A federal jury has found Nathan Hardwick, a former advisor to Dustin Johnson, guilty of embezzling $26 million in funds from his now-bankrupt real estate closing firm, Morris Hardwick Schneider.
Per Golf.com, citing Law.com, a 12-person jury convicted Hardwick of "one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud, 21 counts of wire fraud and one count of making false statements to federally insured banks."
As for where exactly the money went, The Sun News of Myrtle Beach, once again citing Law.com, has the details:
"The alleged spending included $18.47 million on gambling, private jet travel and women from 2011 through August 2014. The prosecution submitted two binders of documentation as evidence that Hardwick spent $4.39 million on “female social companions,” including one testifying witness who claimed to have met him through SugarDaddy.com."
"Other alleged expenditures described in testimony include more than $7 million at casinos, more than $3 million with a bookie, $680,000 for a luxury condo at The St. Regis Atlanta, $273,000 on a diamond ring, $186,000 on a deposit for a party on a private island, and $635,000 on a trip to the 2014 British Open for golfing buddies that included a customized jet and round at St. Andrews."
Johnson in 2014 sued Morris Hardwick Schneider over a $3 million loan he believed to be an investment. Instead, Johnson argued, the money was going to make up for shortages created by Hardwick's embezzlement. Johnson later amended his suit to argue that Hardwick, who previously served on the board of the Dustin Johnson Foundation, was being used as a "pawn" by the firm's other partners.
That suit was settled in 2016 for $2 million.
Kang 'going with the flow,' one back of A. Jutanugarn
SHANGHAI – Ariya Jutanugarn shot a 6-under 66 to take a one-stroke lead after the first round of the Buick LPGA Shanghai tournament on Thursday.
The Thai player had six birdies in a bogey-free round, including three straight on Nos. 4, 5, and 6.
''I always have so much fun when I play in Asia,'' said Jutanugarm, who added her key was ''just not to expect anything. Just go out have fun and enjoy everything.''
Sei Young Kim and Danielle Kang (both 67) were one shot back, with six other players only two shots off the lead.
The tournament is the second of five being played in South Korea, Japan, China and Taiwan in the LPGA's annual Asian swing.
Kang credited her improved play to new coach Butch Harmon.
''We just kind of simplify the game a lot,'' the American said. ''Just trying to calm it down and get back to how I used to play. Just more feel golf. Thinking less mechanics and going with the flow.''
Kang tied for third last week at the KEB Hana Bank championship in Incheon, South Korea.
''Today's round went very smooth,'' Kang said. ''Coming off very good momentum after last week, and I've been hitting the ball really well, playing great. I've just been trusting my game and just keep giving myself birdie chances. They kept rolling in.''