Notes Woods Singh Weigh in on Wie

By Associated PressFebruary 12, 2004, 5:00 pm
SAN DIEGO -- B.J. Wie says he has received offers from seven more PGA Tour events for his daughter to play, although he was not sure she would accept any of them.
 
Phil Mickelson said he didn't have a problem with Michelle Wie playing, but 'I just hope it doesn't become a big trend.'
 
Laura Davies is playing in Australia this week, the first woman in a tournament co-sanctioned by the European Tour.
 
Vijay Singh, who was critical of Annika Sorenstam playing at Colonial last year, didn't mind Wie playing.
 
'They can invite all the women they want to,' he said. 'They can't beat me. I have nothing against women. If they want to invite 20 of them, go ahead. It's not going to affect me at all.'
 
WOODS ON WIE
 
Tiger Woods has said that the 14-year-old Wie should develop the 'art of winning' by blowing away the competition in her own age group before taking on professionals on the LPGA and PGA tours.
 
He was duly impressed with her 68 in the second round of the Sony Open, where she missed the cut by one shot.
 
'She didn't drive the ball all over the place,' Woods said. 'She drove it pretty solid. She hit good iron shots and she putted consistently. From that aspect, I was surprised. Usually when you're nervous, one part of your game is going to be affected. But it seemed like she had control over every part of her game.'
 
Even though her round was the best ever by a female competing against men, Woods is sticking to his opinion.
 
'I think the most important thing for her is to take that learning experience and go back and develop,' he said. 'What I mean by develop is go back down a few levels and compete and win. I think that's very important.'
 
He cited the career paths of Mickelson, Justin Leonard and himself, players who dominated their age group and had immediate success on the PGA Tour. They are the only players in the last 10 years who never had to go through qualifying school.
 
'But she might be different,' Woods added. 'She might go out there and skip a whole bunch of levels. Who knows?'
 
TIGER KEEPS HIS BUICK
 
Woods will continue to keep Buick on his bag and in his garage, signing a five-year extension Tuesday.
 
Woods first began representing Buick in 1999. Along with a series of commercials, Woods displays the logo on his golf bag and serves as honorary chairman of the Buick Scramble, the world's largest amateur tournament.
 
The new deal is believed to be worth more than $40 million over the next five years.
 
'Tiger has been an invaluable asset to Buick across the marketing spectrum,' Buick general manager CJ Fraleigh said. 'Tiger ... makes people think differently about Buick.'
 
Fraleigh said the contract, which he and Woods signed during a news conference at the Buick Invitational, does not require Woods to play in specific PGA Tour events sponsored by Buick.
 
Woods has played in the Buick Invitational every year since 1998, and considers Torrey Pines a home course since he grew up about 90 minutes away.
 
He occasionally plays the Buick Classic in New York and the Buick Open outside Detroit, although he never played the old Buick Challenge in Callaway Gardens. And he is not expected to play in the Buick Championship, formerly known as the Greater Hartford Open.
 
AMATEUR HOUR
 
Chris Heintz, a freshman at UCLA, was one of two amateurs who earned a spot at the Buick Invitational through a qualifying tournament at Torrey Pines.
 
He took advantage of the situation.
 
Heintz heard that Tiger Woods practices early, so he was on the course at 6:15 a.m. Tuesday. Woods showed up a few minutes later, and Heintz was on the first tee to ask if he could join him.
 
'Sure, no problem,' Woods said.
 
During the round, Woods showed him where the hole locations were likely to be and kidded him about another bad season for UCLA basketball, easy to do for a guy who went to Stanford.
 
'This was definitely a heavenly experience,' Heintz said.
 
Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Getty Images

Fowler (oblique) withdraws from playoff opener

By Will GrayAugust 15, 2018, 8:44 pm

The injury that slowed Rickie Fowler at last week's PGA Championship will keep him out of the first event of the PGA Tour's postseason.

Fowler was reportedly hampered by an oblique injury at Bellerive Country Club, where he started the third round two shots off the lead but faded to a tie for 12th. He confirmed the injury Tuesday in an Instagram post, adding that an MRI revealed a partial tear to his right oblique muscle.

According to Fowler, the injury also affected him at the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational, where he tied for 17th. After receiving the test results, he opted to withdraw from The Northern Trust next week at Ridgewood Country Club in New Jersey.

"My team and I feel like it's best not to play next week in the Northern Trust," Fowler wrote. "I will be back healthy and competitive ASAP for the FedEx Cup and more than ready for the Ryder Cup!!!"

Fowler is one of eight players who earned automatic spots on the U.S. Ryder Cup team when the qualifying window closed last week. His next opportunity to tee it up would be at the 100-man Dell Technologies Championship, where Fowler won in 2015.

Fowler has 12 top-25 finishes in 18 starts, highlighted by runner-up finishes at both the OHL Classic at Mayakoba in the fall and at the Masters. He is currently 17th in the season-long points race, meaning that he's assured of starts in each of the first three playoff events regardless of performance and in good position to qualify for the 30-man Tour Championship for the fourth time in the last five years.

Getty Images

Playoff streaks in jeopardy for Garcia, Haas

By Will GrayAugust 15, 2018, 8:12 pm

Since the advent of the FedExCup in 2007, only 13 players have managed to make the playoffs each and every year. But two of the PGA Tour's stalwarts head into the regular-season finale with work to do in order to remain a part of that select fraternity.

Sergio Garcia has rarely had to sweat the top-125 bubble, but the Spaniard enters this week's Wyndham Championship 131st in the current standings. Left with even more work to do is former FedExCup winner Bill Haas, who starts the week in Greensboro 150th.

Garcia got off to a strong start in the spring, sandwiching a pair of top-10 finishes in WGC events around a fourth-place showing at the Valspar Championship. But quality results largely dried up after Garcia missed the cut at the Masters; he has made only two cuts in 10 Tour starts since April, including early exits in all four majors.


Wyndham Championship: Articles, photos and videos


Garcia has some history at Sedgefield Country Club, having won this event in 2012 to break a lengthy U.S. victory drought. He also finished fourth in 2009 but hasn't played the Donald Ross layout since a T-29 finish as the defending champ in 2013.

It's been a difficult year for Haas both on and off the course, as the veteran was involved as a passenger in a car accident on the eve of the Genesis Open that killed the driver. He returned to action three weeks later in Tampa, and he tied for seventh at the RBC Heritage in April. But that remains his lone top-10 finish of the season. Haas has missed 11 cuts including three in a row.

While the bubble will be a fluid target this week at Sedgefield, Garcia likely needs at least a top-20 finish to move into the top 125 while Haas will likely need to finish inside the top 5.

One of the 13 playoff streaks is assured of ending next week, as Luke Donald has missed most of the year with a back injury. Other players to qualify for every Tour postseason include Phil Mickelson, Matt Kuchar, Zach Johnson, Adam Scott, Bubba Watson, Justin Rose, Brandt Snedeker, Charles Howell III, Charley Hoffman and Ryan Moore.

Getty Images

Airlines lose two sets of Olesen's clubs in 10 days

By Grill Room TeamAugust 15, 2018, 7:50 pm

Commercial airlines losing the golf clubs of a professional golfer is not exactly a groundbreaking story. It happens.

But European Tour pro Thorbjorn Olesen is on quite the roll, losing two sets of clubs and five suitcases in the span of 10 days.

Olesen, the reigning Italian Open champ, claimed his primary set of golf clubs were lost last week. Having little faith they'd be found before this week's Nordea Masters, he decided to bring his backup set for the event in Sweden.

A veteran move by the 28-year-old, unless, of course, those clubs were lost too. And wouldn't you know it:

After pestering the airlines with some A+ GIFs, Olesen was reunited with at least one of his sets and was back in action on Wednesday.

He also still plans on giving his golf bag away to some lucky follower, provided it's not lost again in transit. Something he's no longer taking for granted.

Getty Images

Podcast: Brandel compares Tiger and Hogan's comebacks

By Golf Channel DigitalAugust 15, 2018, 6:48 pm

Tiger Woods on Sunday at Bellerive recorded his seventh runner-up finish in a major and his first in nine years.

A favorite guest of the Golf Channel Podcast, Brandel Chamblee joins host Will Gray to compare and contrast Tiger's return to competitive golf with that of Ben Hogan and Babe Didrikson Zaharias in the 1950s.

Chamblee also discusses Brooks Koepka's major dominance, Bellerive as a major venue, Tiger and Phil as Ryder Cup locks, and who else might be in line to receive Jim Furyk and Thomas Bjorn's remaining captain's picks.

Finally, Brandel shares what it was it was like to qualify for the Senior Open Championship and compete for a major title on the Old Course at St. Andrews. Listen here: