Paula Creamer wants another shot at Womens Open

By Associated PressJuly 9, 2009, 4:00 pm
LPGA Tour _newBETHLEHEM, Pa. ' Paula Creamer has taken two anti-inflammatory injections in her ailing left thumb. Now, she wants another shot ' at a U.S. Womens Open title.
 
One year after stumbling at the start of the final round of the womens national championship and finishing sixth, Creamer is back on course to chase her first Open title.
 
But Creamers been through a tough couple of weeks after pulling out of an LPGA event in Pittsford, N.Y., two weeks ago because of a thumb injury. Last week, she withdrew from a tournament in Ohio when her thumb swelled up after she hit balls on the range before the first round.
 
She doesnt claim to be pain free, just feeling better.
 
Ive played a lot of golf the last couple days A lot of ice and Advil are my two favorite things right now, the eight-time LPGA Tour winner said Wednesday on the eve of the first round.
 
Creamer will be paired with top-ranked Lorena Ochoa and South Koreas In-Kyung Kim in the opening round at Saucon Valley Country Club in a Womens Open that threatens to be overshadowed by a lingering dispute among a faction of key LPGA players who are calling for the resignation of tour commissioner Carolyn Bivens.
 
Golfweek Magazine first reported Monday that a group of key players sent a letter to the LPGA board saying the tours woes cant be blamed on a poor economy and that the LPGA needs a new leader to rebuild relationships with sponsors.
 
The tour has lost seven tournaments since 2007.
 
Most players are declining to talk about the issue, but Ochoa participated in the players meeting that spawned the letter and addressed the controversy Wednesday.
 
Ochoa said the players are looking for a more active role in moving the LPGA Tour ahead.
 
We as players, we want to be more involved in what is happening and we want to see the tour going in a better direction, said Ochoa, whose best finish in a Womens Open was a tie for second in 2007.
 
Theres not much we can do. I believe they will do the best for us, and hopefully things will start, you know, moving in a good direction, because we are worried that were losing tournaments and we want to get back on a good track.
 
Creamer sidestepped the issue, saying shes concerned only about tour events. She refused to comment further, saying it is out of my control.
 
Control is something Creamer struggled with in the final round last year but hopes to maintain at Saucon Valley.
 
Last year, she entered the last round in second place but had two double bogeys in a front-nine 41. She went on to shoot 78 and finished five places back of eventual winner Inbee Park.
 
Saucon Valley will be a tough test with its narrow fairways and undulating greens, playing more than 6,700 yards to a par 71.
 
Creamer is gaining confidence with every ball she strikes.
 
Obviously, I wish I was a little bit more prepared to come into the U.S. Open, but its what Ive been given, she said. I feel Monday and Tuesday I was a little rusty; I hit some shots that I havent really hit before.
 
But I feel good now. Ive hit some balls and got that out of my system.
 
Shes also feeling very comfortable with the pristine Lehigh Valley layout.
 
When I think of U.S. Open, definitely this course defines that, she said. Its tight; theres not many birdie opportunities that you can make out there.
 
Creamer expects to feel some nervousness and will lean on the lessons she learned last year from her first top-10 finish in a major.
 
Ive learned a lot from that round, she said. Its going to be difficult, Ive learned that. Hopefully I can take what happened at the Open last year into this one.
 
The Womens Open field includes 28 amateurs and players from 22 countries. The youngest player is 13-year-old Yueer-Cindy-Feng of Orlando, and reigning U.S. Girls Junior champ Alexis Thompson, 14, who in 2007 was the youngest Womens Open qualifier in history, is back for her third open.
 
Related Links:
  • Full Coverage - U.S. Women's Open
  • Golf Channel Airtimes
  • Getty Images

    Woods (T-6) qualifies for WGC-Bridgestone via OWGR

    By Will GrayJuly 22, 2018, 7:43 pm

    After narrowly missing out on a 15th major title at Carnoustie, Tiger Woods can take solace in the fact that he earned a return to Firestone Country Club by the thinnest of margins.

    Woods was ranked No. 71 in the world entering The Open, and the top 50 in the rankings on both July 23 and July 30 will earn invites to the upcoming WGC-Bridgestone Invitational. Despite missing a short birdie putt on the 72nd hole, Woods' three-way tie for sixth was enough to lift him to exactly 50th in the updated rankings.

    It means that Woods will return to Akron in two weeks despite starting the year ranked No. 656. Firestone's South Course is the site of eight of Woods' 79 career PGA Tour victories, including his most recent worldwide victory back in 2013 when he won by seven shots. He has not played the invitation-only event since withdrawing in 2014 because of injury.

    That's also the last time that Woods played in any of the four WGC events.

    Woods had stated for several weeks that he hoped to return to Firestone this summer, given that the tournament will permanently shift to TPC Southwind in Memphis beginning next year. While he had the option to play next week's RBC Canadian Open to bolster his world ranking, Woods reiterated in recent weeks that his status for Akron would simply hinge on his performance in The Open.

    "One of my goals is to get into Akron one last time before we leave there," Woods said at The Players Championship in May. "I've won there eight times and I'd love to get there with one more chance."

    Speaking to reporters after a final-round 71, Woods explained that he thought he needed a top-4 finish to qualify and had fallen short. Instead, his 5-under total and best finish in a major since the 2013 Open at Muirfield proved to be just enough.

    Woods will now take a week off before teeing it up in Akron Aug. 2-5, followed by an appearance the following week at the PGA Championship at Bellerive Country Club in St. Louis.

    Getty Images

    Spieth shrugs off his worst final round in a major

    By Jay CoffinJuly 22, 2018, 7:35 pm

    CARNOUSTIE, Scotland – Jordan Spieth was the 54-hole co-leader of The Open. He was looking for his fourth career major and second consecutive claret jug. He also has been in the biggest victory drought of his career, extending back to last year at Royal Birkdale.

    Spieth shot 5-over 76 - his worst final round in a major - failed to make a birdie - the first time he's failed to pick up any strokes in a major - and tied for ninth place, four shots behind Francesco Molinari. He got over it quickly.

    “I’ve already gone through the frustration,” Spieth said, about 20 minutes after his round. “I’m kind of on acceptance now.”

    Spieth said all week that he was burned out after having played so much golf in a stretch that ended two weeks ago at the Travelers Championship. The two-week rest did him good and he was eager to see where his game was after diligent practice at home in Texas.

    Being in the hunt was a good enough result for Spieth this week.

    “When you put yourself in position enough times, it goes your way sometimes, it doesn’t go your way sometimes,” he said.


    Full-field scores from the 147th Open Championship

    Full coverage of the 147th Open Championship


    Bogey on the fifth hole was followed by a nasty double bogey on the sixth when Spieth hit his drive right and flew his second shot into a gorse bush well short and right of the green. He took a drop, hit a wedge onto the green, then three-putted for double-bogey 7. He also made bogey on the 15th and 17th holes.

    Some major disappointment stings more than others. This wasn’t one that Spieth was going to worry about. In fact, he’s more interested in looking forward to an important stretch that includes a WGC event, a major and a playoff run on the PGA Tour.

    “My (putting) stroke is there, it’s back, which feels awesome,” Spieth said. “My game all together is back. I’ve had different parts of every single part of my game being at kind of a low point in my career, not all at the same time, but enough to where I haven’t really been able to compete. It’s all there, and it’s moving in the right direction.”

    Getty Images

    McIlroy 'committed to everything ... ran out of holes'

    By Jay CoffinJuly 22, 2018, 7:08 pm

    CARNOUSTIE, Scotland – Rory McIlroy summed it up: “I don’t really feel like it’s a defeat. I feel like it’s a good week.”

    McIlroy, in search of his fifth major, tied for the lead at The Open late on Sunday at Carnoustie when he made eagle on the par-5 14th hole. An hour later, he had made five consecutive pars to close out a 1-under 70 and tie for second place with Justin Rose, Kevin Kisner and Xander Schauffele.

    That group ended two shots behind winner Francesco Molinari. McIlroy thought it was realistic to squeeze one more shot out of his round, but he never though it was possible to squeeze out two.

    “I committed to everything,” he said. “I hit the shots when I needed to. I made good swings on 17 and on 18. I just ran out of holes.”


    Full-field scores from the 147th Open Championship

    Full coverage of the 147th Open Championship


    McIlroy hasn’t played poorly this year, but this hasn't been a year that would rank as a total success. He took the Arnold Palmer Invitational in March and collected a second-place finish at the BMW PGA Championship. He had a legitimate chance to win the Masters before a terrible Sunday round, and then missed the cut at the U.S. Open last month at Shinnecock Hills.

    Sunday at Carnoustie, McIlroy bogeyed two of his first five holes and quickly became an afterthought. When others faltered, McIlroy birdies Nos. 9 and 11, then eagled 14 to vault back into the picture.

    “I’m happy with how I played,” he said. “I didn’t get off to a great start, but I hung in there, and I battled back.

    “So I’ll look back at this week and be very encouraged about what I’ve done and the golf that I played. I feel like that will stand me in good stead for what’s coming up.”

    McIlroy is scheduled to play the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational in two weeks, followed by the PGA Championship and the FedExCup Playoffs.

    Getty Images

    Edoardo, other pros congratulate Francesco on Twitter

    By Grill Room TeamJuly 22, 2018, 6:54 pm

    Francesco Molinari played a bogey-free weekend at Carnoustie to claim Italy's first claret jug.

    His rock-solid performance in the final round earned him his share of social media plaudits.

    Here's a collection of Twitter hat-tips, and we start off with Frankie's brother, Dodo.