VANCOUVER, British Columbia – Mike Weir withdrew from the RBC Canadian Open on Friday after hitting out of the rough and aggravating an elbow injury that cut short his 2010 season.
The Canadian pulled out after six holes of the second round. Weir bogeyed No. 3 before making double bogeys on the next two holes to drop to 8 over. He called it quits after a par at No. 6.
“It’s very disappointing,” he said. “This is our national championship. I want to play and have great fan support. But I’m just not going to re-injure (the elbow) again.”
Weir, who shot a 74 in Thursday’s first round, hurt himself in the deep rough at Shaughnessy Golf and Country Club.
“I woke up this morning and it was very sore. I thought I could play through it,” he said. “(I) had a couple of shots in the rough this morning. And I just don’t want to go down that road again where it becomes a bad injury again. It’s very tender, very sore right now. With this deep rough, I just can’t hit it.”
Weir came into the tournament having missed 11 cuts this year and 19 of 32 since the start of the 2010 season. His best finishes this season are ties for 70th and 77th.
That’s a huge fall for the man who won the 2003 Masters and spent 110 weeks in the world’s top 10 between 2001 and 2005.
Weir said he couldn’t open a water bottle because of the pain.
“I tried to play through it a little bit last year and ended up being off for three or four months because I did that,” he said. “I’m not going to do something stupid like that again. I want to get it right 100 percent before I get back.”