Have You Ever Seen the Rain

By Brendan Havens, Big Break ProducerApril 15, 2008, 4:00 pm
Break Break: Ka December 6, 2007
5:06 a.m.
Lahaina, Maui

I am awakened by the sound of a driving rain. Ive been in Hawaii for seven days, and the sound has become surprisingly commonplace. The only reason Ive been stirred awake by this noise today is because its the first shoot day at 'Big Break: Kaanapali.'
Upon my arrival at the Maui International airport a week prior, I had been informed by one of the locals that they were bracing themselves for some Kona weather. My immediate thought was What the hell is Kona weather?, followed by Im not sure I like the way that sounds. Im in Hawaii, though. It was a beautiful breezy evening, and I had been standing in this exact spot not more than two months prior after spending four sun-filled days scouting the course/resort in preparation for the shoot. Nothing I had previously experienced would lead me to believe that there would be nothing but beautiful weather, and lots of it for the next three weeks. I would heavily regret that thought about 12 hours later.
Kona weather is caused when the trade winds (which come from the northeast) switch to Kona winds (which come from the southwest). When the trade winds blow, the northwestern section of Maui (which is where Kaanapali is located) is just absolute paradise, as all the rain and nasty weather is blocked by the west Maui mountains. When the Kona winds come, theres nothing to protect that section of the island from inclement weather, so whatever storms brew out in the Pacific slam directly into the west side of the island. I had been in Maui for not even a full day, and what followed for the next seven days was some of the worst weather Maui had seen in 20 or 30 years, and some of the heaviest downpours Ive ever experienced in person. This is coming from someone who lived thru the Central Florida hurricanes in the summer of 2004.
The week before shooting a Big Break is usually spent nailing down all the small details on site by various members of the production crew. In my case, there were two major details to contend with: the final logistics for the competitors race to the golf course and the two golf challenges in the first episode. For the five months prior to arriving in Maui, all challenges for every episode are conceptualized, tweaked several times, and eventually finalized. All that time, I was envisioning brilliant blue skies, a soft cool breeze, and a perfectly manicured golf course. I mean, its Hawaii, what else should be expected? So, when youre less than a week away from the first golf shot being hit on 'Big Break: Kaanapali' and theres nothing but torrential downpours, tropical storm strength winds, and a golf course completely underwater, panic slowly starts to set in.
The day after all the competitors arrived (one day before the first shot is hit) the plan was to shoot all of the show open elements with the ladies out on a boat just off the shoreline at Kaanapali. This would not happen as scheduled. (The shots you see in the open of all the ladies on the boat was shot on the one off-day halfway through the shoot) In fact, on this day, the day were supposed to be out in the middle of the ocean on a catamaran, the worst storm to hit western Maui in 30 years decided to make its way on shore. Luckily, we had put a contingency plan into effect two days prior, anticipating the worst. Theres an aquarium about 10 minutes from Kaanapali and we managed to get clearance to film all the girls close up shots inside this aquarium. So, all those cool shots youve been seeing in promos for the seriesthat was a contingency plan. Not bad, huh?
Thats not to say plan B went off without a hitch. While we were filming inside the aquarium, the weather outside got so bad that the roof of the aquarium started leakinglike, get-a-giant-garbage-can-to-catch-all-this-water-type leaks. We ended up getting stranded there for most of the afternoon because the only road back to Kaanapali had flooded completely over. And, we still were not sure if the course would be anywhere near playable in less than 24 hours.
Its now around 5:30 a.m., the morning of December 6. I get out of bed and draw the shade back from the sliding glass door in my hotel room to see what we have in store. As expected, the rain is still coming down and our first shoot day is in serious jeopardy. I get dressed and head to the hotel restaurant to get some breakfast, and discuss our options. Over our eggs, French toast, and Kona blend coffee we weigh every possible scenario. Can we shoot today? If we cant, how can we make up the time? Is it even possible to push the entire shoot back one day (which it wasnt), etc.? We were mere minutes from declaring the day a complete wash (no pun intended) when we hear the rain begin to let up. We emerge from the hotel to see a break in the clouds. There was no sunshine, but it was as much of a break as wed seen in days, so right then and there we decided to go full speed ahead and see if we could actually pull off this race. But we were in for yet another surprise.
We arrive at the section of beach that wed scouted to start the race. Mind you, we were standing on this very spot just six days ago and there was this beautiful wide, flat, pristine piece of shoreline. What we were now looking at was barely recognizable. Driftwood and random debris coated every inch of the beach. And to make matters even worse, the shoreline had been knocked back almost 20 ft by the unusually surging swells that had bombarded the beach for the past six days turning the normally crystal clear blue waters to a murky brown. There was also a battered, shipwrecked sail boat that washed ashore right where we had planned on starting the race, which just added to the incredibly eerie feeling of that morning. However, luck finally started turning in our favor. A state commissioned beach cleanup crew arrived just when we did and they volunteered to help clear off the section of beach that we needed to use. For the first time all week, I actually got the sense that we may get this done.
After a couple of heavy, but short downpours, we were actually ready to run this race. All the waiting, planning, and stressing would all be worth itas long as Mother Nature would cooperate with us for just a little bitand for 20 minutes she did. Team Pink and Team Orange finished neck and neck and then right before Team Purple came driving up to the tee, as you could see in the show, another downpour hits. I kid you not, the second we stopped rolling cameras, the rain immediately stopped, and the sun came out for the first time in seven days.
Now, I attribute this entire weather fiasco to one of two occurrences. The first would be an incident back in October while we were scouting the course at Kaanapali. The general manager of the Kaanapali golf courses, Ed Kageyama, was prompted with the following question, Whats the weather like the time of year were shooting? His response was, The winter is the rainy season, but we only get like seven inches of rain a year, so there shouldnt be anything to worry about. The official rain total for that first week was 14 inches. Thats rightdouble the annual rainfall in one week.
The second incident would be when we conceptualized and executed the start of the race. We took a Hawaiian tiki god, shoved a clue in it, and buried it in the sand. Hmmor maybe it was just the Kona weather.
Related Links:
  • Full Coverage - Big Break: Ka'anapali
  • Getty Images

    Tiger Tracker: 147th Open Championship

    By Tiger TrackerJuly 20, 2018, 2:30 pm

    Tiger Woods shot his second consecutive 70 on Friday at Carnoustie and enters weekend play at even par for the championship, still in contention for major No. 15.

    Getty Images

    Scott and Sunesson a one-week partnership

    By Rex HoggardJuly 20, 2018, 2:13 pm

    CARNOUSTIE, Scotland – Adam Scott has been in between caddies for the last month and went with a bold stand-in for this week’s Open Championship, coaxing veteran looper Fanny Sunesson out of retirement to work for him at Carnoustie.

    Sunesson caddied for Nick Faldo in his prime, as the duo won four major titles together. She also worked for Henrik Stenson and Sergio Garcia before a back injury forced her to retire.

    But for this week’s championship, Scott convinced the Swede to return to the caddie corps. The results have been impressive, with the Australian following an opening 71 with a second-round 70 for a tie for 16th place.

    Full-field scores from the 147th Open Championship

    Full coverage of the 147th Open Championship

    “It's been going great. Fanny is, obviously, a fantastic caddie, and to be able to have that experience out there with me is certainly comforting,” Scott said. “We've gotten along really well. She's picked up on my game quickly, and I think we think about things in a very similar way.”

    Scott was also asked about a potential long-term partnership between the duo, but he didn’t sound hopeful.

    “It's just for this week,” he said. “It would be up to her, but I don't think she's making plans of a comeback. I was being a bit opportunistic in contacting her and coaxing her out of retirement, I guess. But I think she's having a good week. We'll just take it one week at the moment.”

    Getty Images

    After tense Augusta Sunday, Rory ready to be aggressive

    By Ryan LavnerJuly 20, 2018, 1:51 pm

    CARNOUSTIE, Scotland – Rory McIlroy temporarily lost his superpowers during the Masters.  

    In one of the most surprising rounds of the year, he played tentatively and carefully during the final day. Squaring off against the major-less Patrick Reed, on the brink of history, with the backing of nearly the entire crowd, it was McIlroy who shrank in the moment, who looked like the one searching for validation. He shot a joyless 74 and wound up six shots behind Reed.

    No, the final round was nowhere near as dispiriting as the finale in 2011, but McIlroy still sulked the following week. He binge-watched TV shows. Devoured a few books. Guzzled a couple of bottles of wine. His pity party lasted a few days, until his wife, Erica, finally dragged him out of the house for a walk.

    Some deeper introspection was required, and McIlroy revealed a healthier self-analysis Friday at Carnoustie. He diagnosed what went wrong at Augusta, and then again two months later at the U.S. Open, where he blew himself out of the tournament with an opening 80.

    “I was worrying too much about the result, not focusing on the process,” he said. “Sunday at Augusta was a big learning curve for me because, even if I hadn’t won that tournament, but I went down swinging and aggressive and committing to every shot, I would have walked away a lot happier.”

    Full-field scores from the 147th Open Championship

    Full coverage of the 147th Open Championship

    And so McIlroy has a new mantra this week at The Open.

    Let it go.

    Don’t hold back. Don’t worry about the repercussions. Don’t play scared.

    “I’m committed to making sure, even if I don’t play my best golf and don’t shoot the scores I want, I’m going to go down swinging, and I’m going to go down giving my best,” he said. “The result is the byproduct of all the little things you do to lead up to that. Sometimes I’ve forgotten that, and I just need to get back in that mindset.”

    It’s worked through two rounds, even after the cool, damp conditions led McIlroy to abandon his ultra-aggressive strategy. He offset a few mistakes with four birdies, shooting a second consecutive 69 to sit just a couple of shots off the lead.

    During a sun-splashed first round, McIlroy gleefully banged driver on almost every hole, flying or skirting the bunkers that dot these baked-out, undulating fairways. He wasn’t particularly accurate, but he also didn’t need to be, as the thin, wispy rough enabled every player to at least advance their approach shots near the green.

    Friday’s weather presented a different challenge. A steady morning rain took some of the fire out of parched fairways, but the cooler temperatures also reduced much of the bombers’ hang time. Suddenly, all of the bunkers were in play, and McIlroy needed to adjust his driver-heavy approach (he hit only six) on the fly.

    “It just wasn’t worth it,” he said.

    McIlroy hit a few “skanky” shots, in his words, but even his bigger misses – on the sixth and 17th holes – were on the proper side, allowing him to scramble for par and keep the round going.

    It’s the fifth time in his career that he’s opened a major with back-to-back rounds in the 60s. He’s gone on to win three of the previous four – the lone exception that disastrous final round (80) at Augusta in 2011.

    “I don’t want to say easy,” he said, “but it’s felt comfortable.”

    The weekend gets uncomfortable for everyone, apparently even four-time major winners who, when in form, ooze confidence and swagger.

    Once again McIlroy has that look at a major.

    The only thing left to do?

    Let it go.

    Getty Images

    Z. Johnson may have to pay for the jet home

    By Rex HoggardJuly 20, 2018, 1:23 pm

    CARNOUSTIE, Scotland – Zach Johnson will have some bragging rights when he gets back to the ultimate golf frat house on Friday after a second-round 67 moved him into the lead at The Open.

    Johnson is rooming with Jordan Spieth, Jason Dufner, Kevin Kisner, Jimmy Walker, Justin Thomas and Rickie Fowler this week at Carnoustie. It’s a tradition that began two years ago at Royal Troon.

    Kisner joked on Thursday after he took the first-round lead that the perks for the house/tournament front-runner were limited: “I probably get to eat first,” he said.

    Full-field scores from the 147th Open Championship

    Full coverage of the 147th Open Championship

    There is, however, one running wager.

    “Two years ago we, I don't know if you call it bet, but agreement that, if you win, you get the jet and you buy it, so we go home,” said Johnson, who added that because of varying travel arrangements, the wager might not be needed this year. “I didn't pay last year. Somebody else did.”

    Spieth won last year’s championship at Royal Birkdale.

    Despite the expense, Johnson said he didn’t know how much it costs to charter a private flight back to the United States, but it’s a good problem to have.

    “I’d be happy to fork it over,” he smiled.