Stat attack!: Stats of the Year for 2014

By John AntoniniDecember 16, 2014, 7:08 pm

The 2014 golf season had its share of memorable moments, many of them being chronicled by Golf Channel as we count down the year’s top newsmakers. But crunching the numbers for this season revealed many interesting tidbits worth sharing. From Rory McIlroy to Bernhard Langer to Tiger Woods – yes, Tiger Woods - here is a look at the Stat Attack’s top statistical nuggets for 2014.

Putting for dough

Rory McIlroy’s getting most of the year-end honors for 2014 and the accolades are well deserved. He laid the groundwork for his historic season on the greens. Although he was only 41st in strokes gained/putting, McIlroy led the PGA Tour in putting average, birdie or better conversion percentage and birdies per round. His 2013-14 ranking in all three of those stats is among the five best single-season marks in Tour history.

Of course, PGA Tour history is quite modern. The Tour's Stat Database monitors birdie conversion percentage since 1980, putting average since 1986 and birdies per round since 1996.

PGA Tour single-season leaders in birdie or better percentage

Player Birdie Pct. Year
 Bob Heintz 36.98% 2002
 Rory McIlroy 36.84 2014
 Tiger Woods 36.56 2005
 Phil Mickelson 36.42 2001
 Tiger Woods 36.14 2000

PGA Tour single-season leaders in birdies per round

Player Birdies per round Year

David Toms 1.704 2002
 Brad Faxon 1.704 2000
 Rory McIlroy  1.707500 2014
 Jim Furyk 1.707506 1995
 David Frost 1.708 2001

Tiger is No. 1

Strange as it might sound, Tiger Woods led the PGA Tour in something positive in 2013-14. He made the PGA Tour’s longest putt last season at 91 feet, seven inches, on the fourth hole in the second round of the WGC-Cadillac Invitational. At the time, he was so much more concerned with his back, which caused him to withdraw from the Honda Classic one week earlier, that the putt was barely mentioned in his post-round press conference.

Longest putts on the PGA Tour in 2013-14

Player Putt length Tournament (hole, round)
 Tiger Woods 91 ft.,
7 in.
WGC-Cadillac (fourth hole, second round)
 Jeff Overton 76 ft.,
10 in.
Deutsche Bank (ninth hole, first round)
 Ryan Palmer 76 ft. 6 in. HP Byron Nelson (fourth hole, first round)
 Michael
 Thompson
76 ft. 1 in. Wells Fargo (17th hole, fourth round)
 Jonathan Byrd 75 ft.
10 in.
Wells Fargo (18 hole, first round)

Getting better all the time

Jimmy Walker’s outstanding 2013-14, in which he won three times and was fourth on the PGA Tour in earnings, is the highlight of a career that has seen him improve his rank on the money list for seven straight years.

Jimmy Walker money rank since 2008

Year Money rank Earnings
 2014 4 $5,787,016
 2013  30 2,117,570
 2012 48 1,638,419
 2011 67 1,336,556
 2010  103 937,987
 2009 125 662,683
 2008 185 282,249

Bunting to victory

Tim Clark, winner of the Bell Canadian Open, finished the 2013-14 season with a driving distance of 272.2 yards, 174th of 177 players who qualified for a ranking. Clark was the shortest hitter among PGA Tour winners, and was one of just seven players outside the top 100 in distance to win last season.

PGA Tour winners in 2013-14 who ranked outside the top 100 in driving distance

Player Driving distance Rank 2014 victory
 Tim Clark  272.2 174 Bell Canadian Open
 Ben Crane 279.0 157 FedEx St. Jude Classic
 Brendon Todd 280.3 T-148 HP Byron Nelson Champ.
 Zach Johnson 282.2 T-141 Hyundai T of C
 Matt Kuchar 283.8 136 RBC Heritage
 Ryan Moore  284.7 129 CIMB Classic
 Matt Every 286.3 116 Arnold Palmer Inv.

Lefty’s lament

Phil Mickelson had arguably his worst season since joining the PGA Tour midway through 1992. The 2013-14 campaign was his first without a victory since 2003, and he failed to qualify for the Tour Championship for the first time in the FedEx Cup era. Although Mickelson finished 35th in scoring average at 70.278, it was his highest mark since 1998 and his worst rank since 1995. It is a testament to the greatness of Mickelson’s career that this was only the third time he was outside the Tour’s top 30 in scoring.

Phil Mickelson’s highest single-season scoring average

Year Scoring average Rank
 1993 71.205 T-90
 1995  70.592 44
 1998 70.280 27
 2014 70.278 35
 2003 70.249 26
 1996 70.228 16
 2009 70.218 28

Working on the weekend

When Paula Creamer missed the cut at the LPGA’s Kingsmill event in May, it ended her streak of consecutive cuts made at 74. The longest cuts-made streak on Tour now belongs to Lydia Ko, who played on the weekend in all 26 of her starts in 2014 and hasn’t missed a cut in 42 LPGA appearances as a professional or an amateur. (Adam Scott is the current PGA Tour leader in consecutive cuts made with 44.)

Longest current streak of consecutive cuts made on the LPGA Tour

Player Consecutive cuts 2014 total
 Lydia Ko 42 26
 Stacy Lewis 35 28
 Shanshan Feng 31 24

The LPGA’s green machines

Suzann Pettersen and Anna Nordqvist led the LPGA in greens in regulation in 2014 at 77.1 percent. Unlike the PGA Tour, the LPGA’s website does not give a breakdown of how many greens were hit and how many attempts were taken, so we cannot break the tie. We can say, however, that the two players hit more greens in one year than any player since Annika Sorenstam.

Lowest single-season GIR on the LPGA since 2000

Player GIR percentage Year
 Annika Sorenstam 79.7 2001
 Annika Sorenstam 79.7 2002
 Annika Sorenstam 78.8 2004
 Annika Sorenstam 77.2 2005
 Suzann Pettersen 77.1 2014
 Anna Nordqvist 77.1 2014

The cash man

Bernhard Langer was the second player in Champions Tour history to surpass $3 million in earnings, with his $3,074,189 breaking the old single-season record set by Hale Irwin in 2002. Langer also had highest percentage of potential money won – the quotient of his total earnings and what his earnings would have been had he won every event he played – of any Champions player this century. Langer cashed 46.13 percent of his potential earnings. Don January, the Tour’s all-time leader, won 67.06 percent of his potential earnings in 1983.

Single-season Champions Tour earnings

Bernhard Langer 46.13% 2014
 Fred Couples 45.74 2010
 Tom Watson 45.03 2003
 Hale Irwin 42.24 2002
 Larry Nelson 40.67 2000

The Mechanic keeps motoring

The oldest champion in European Tour history is Miguel Angel Jimenez, who was 50 years and 133 days old when he won the 2014 Spanish Open in May. He broke the record he set at the Hong Kong Open in December 2013, when he was one month shy of his 50th birthday. The previous record holder was, you guessed it, Jimenez, when he won the 2012 Hong Kong Open. Jimenez didn’t quite reach his goal of making the European Tour Ryder Cup team at age 50, but he did finish fourth at the Masters and 21st in the Race to Dubai standings, his 12th straight year in the top 30 on the money list. If he ever decides to take on Bernhard Langer, the Champions Tour might have its next $3 million man.

The oldest tournament winners in European Tour history

Player Age Tournament
 Miguel Angel Jimenez 50 years, 133 days 2014 Spanish Open
 Miguel Angel Jimenez 49 years, 337 days 2013 Hong Kong Open
 Miguel Angel Jimenez 48 years, 318 days 2012 Hong Kong Open
 Des Smyth 48 years, 34 days 2001 Madeira Island Open
 Neil Coles 48 years, 14 days 1991 Sanyo Open

If you haven't already done so, please follow me on Twitter at @johnantoninigc

Garcia leads as Valderrama Masters extends to Monday

By Will GrayOctober 21, 2021, 3:52 pm

Weather continues to be the enemy at the Andalucia Valderrama Masters, where Sergio Garcia remains in front as the tournament heads for a Monday finish.

European Tour officials had already ceded the fact that 72 holes would not be completed this week in Spain, but players were not even able to finish 54 holes before another set of thunderstorms rolled in Sunday afternoon to once again halt play. Garcia remains in front at 10 under, having played seven holes of the third round in even par, while Lee Westwood is alone in second at 7 under.

Officials had previously stated an intention to play at least 54 holes, even if that meant extending the tournament to Monday, given that this is the final chance for many players to earn Race to Dubai points in an effort to secure European Tour cards for 2019. Next week's WGC-HSBC Champions will be the final event of the regular season, followed by a three-event final series.

Full-field scores from the Andalucia Valderrama Masters

Garcia, who won the tournament last year, started the third round with a four-shot lead over Ashley Chesters. He balanced one birdie with one bogey and remains in position for his first worldwide victory since the Asian Tour's Singapore Open in January.

Westwood, who has his son Sam on the bag this week, made the biggest charge up the leaderboard with four birdies over his first eight holes. He'll have 10 holes to go when play resumes at 9:10 a.m. local time Monday as he looks to win for the first time since the 2015 Indonesian Masters.

Shane Lowry and Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano are tied for third at 6 under, four shots behind Garcia with 10 holes to play, while Chesters made two double bogeys over his first four holes to drop into a tie for sixth.

In Buick win, Kang overcame demons of mind and spirit

By Randall MellOctober 21, 2018, 3:33 pm

Danielle Kang beat three of the most formidable foes in golf Sunday to win the Buick LPGA Shanghai.

Anxiety.

Frustration.

Anger.

Kang overcame these demons of mind and spirit to win for the second time on tour, backing up her KPMG Women’s PGA Championship victory last year.

“I’ve been going through a lot mentally,” Kang said.

Kang birdied four of the last eight holes to close with a 3-under-par 69, coming from one shot back in the final round to win. At 13-under 275, she finished two shots ahead of a pack of seven players, including world No. 2 Ariya Jutanugarn (71) and former world No. 1 Lydia Ko (66).

It hasn’t been easy for Kang trying to build on her major championship breakthrough last year. She started the fall Asian swing having missed three cuts in a row, five in her last six starts.

“I had to go through swing changes,” Kang said. “I had the swing yips, the putting yips, everything possibly you could think of.

“I was able to get over a lot of anxiety I was feeling when I was trying to hit a golf ball. This week I just kept trusting my golf game.”

Through her swoon, Kang said she was struggling to get the club back, that she was getting mentally stuck to where she could not begin her takeaway. She sought out Butch Harmon, back at her Las Vegas home, for help. She said tying for third at the KEB Hana Bank Championship last week felt like a victory, though she was still battling her demons there.

“Anxiety over tee balls,” Kang said. “People might wonder what I'm doing. I actually can't pull the trigger. It has nothing to do with the result. Having to get over that last week was incredible for me. Even on the first round, one shot took me, I think, four minutes.”

Kang, who turned 26 on Saturday, broke through to win last year under swing coach David Leadbetter, but she began working with Harmon while struggling in the second half this year.

Buick LPGA Shanghai: Articles, photos and videos

“I was actually very frustrated, even yesterday,” Kang said. “Things just weren't going my way. The biggest thing that Butch tells me is to stay out of my own way. I just couldn't do that. If I had a short putt, I just kept doubting myself. I couldn't putt freely.”

Kang said her anger and frustration built up again on the front nine Sunday. She made the turn at 1 over for the round. She said her caddie, Oliver Brett, helped her exorcise some anger. After the ninth hole, he pulled her aside.

This is how Kang remembered the conversation:

Brett: “Whatever you need to do to let your anger out and restart and refresh, you need to do that now.”

Kang: “Cameras are everywhere. I just want to hit the bag really hard.”

Brett: “Here's a wedge. Just smash it.”

Kang did.

“Honestly, I thank him for that,” Kang said. “He told me there are a lot birdies out there. I regrouped, and we pretended we started the round brand new on the 10th hole. Then things changed and momentum started going my way. I started hitting it closer and felt better over the putts.”

Kang said the victory was all about finding a better place mentally.

“I'm just so happy to be where I'm at today,” Kang said. “I'm just happy that I won.

“More so than anything, I'm finally at a place where I'm peaceful and happy with my game, with my life . . . . I hope I win more. I did the best I can. I'm going to keep working hard and keep giving myself chances and keep putting myself in contention. I'll win more. I'll play better.”

Goal for new world No. 1 Koepka: Stay healthy

By Will GrayOctober 21, 2018, 1:38 pm

Last season Brooks Koepka bagged a pair of majors en route to the PGA Tour's Player of the Year award. He started the new wraparound season with an emphatic win at the CJ Cup to reach world No. 1 for the first time.

But amid the best form of his career, Koepka has a simple goal in mind as he gets ready to turn his attention to the new year.

"Stay healthy," Koepka told reporters. "That's been the big thing. I need to be healthy to be able to play all these events, play all the majors."

Koepka's breakthrough year comes despite the fact that he missed four months in the spring, including the Masters, while recovering from a wrist injury. He hit the ground running once he returned, with strong finishes at TPC Sawgrass and Colonial preceding wins at the U.S. Open and PGA Championship.

Now Koepka has added a third trophy after cruising to a four-shot win in South Korea on Sunday that allowed him to move past Dustin Johnson at world No. 1.

"I'm 1-for-1 this year, which is nice," Koepka joked about his undefeated record in the new wraparound season.

Koepka will be in the field next week in China for the WGC-HSBC Champions before putting the clubs on the shelf. With Justin Thomas paving the way by making the goal-setting process more public in recent years, Koepka explained that even after summiting the world rankings he plans to wait until 2019 to adjust his expectations for himself.

"I keep the same goals through the calendar year," Koepka said. "On Jan. 1 I go to the beach in the morning and go write down my goals and figure them out for the calendar year, but I just need to finish this year off. I've got next week and I would like to, coming out the first week as No. 1, I'd like to play well."

Birdie binge for Woodland comes up short at CJ Cup

By Will GrayOctober 21, 2018, 12:52 pm

Gary Woodland mounted an impressive rally at the CJ Cup, but in the end even 11 birdies weren't enough to catch Brooks Koepka.

Woodland started the final round in South Korea five shots behind the new world No. 1, but he made the biggest move of the day amid chilly conditions on Jeju Island. With six birdies over his first nine holes, including four in a row on Nos. 6-9, he briefly caught Koepka at the top of the leaderboard.

But Woodland bogeyed No. 10, and even with five more birdies coming home to finish a 9-under 63 he still finished alone in second, four shots behind Koepka who closed with a bogey-free 29 to put the trophy out of reach.

"Yesterday I didn't get any putts to go in, and today I saw a lot of putts go in," Woodland told reporters. "Brooks with the lead, not much fazes him. So you knew you had to make a lot of birdies, and I made a lot today. But I was just too far behind."

It's the second straight strong performance from Woodland to start the new wraparound season, as he tied for fifth at the CIMB Classic in Malaysia after holding a share of the 54-hole lead. A closing 63 would have gone a long way last week, but he was still pleased to be able to make Koepka sweat a little on a day when even the bad holes resulted from good shots.

"I made two bogeys on the back and I said, 'Be right' on both shots," Woodland said. "I was just maybe a little too amped up, a little excited. I hit them both perfect. All in all, I would have liked for a couple more putts to go in yesterday and been a little closer going into today."