Haas Starts Acting His Age
Jay Haas is learning quickly how to survive on the Champions Tour and really like it. He won again last week, the second time in three weeks he has won on the Champions, and now he gets to play with the elder gents in the season-ending free-for-all ' the Charles Schwab Cup Championship where the top 30 money-winners go off by themselves to play for even more cash.
Haas first victory three weeks ago propelled him into the No. 30 spot. And his win Sunday bumped him all he way to No. 23. This, after just playing in nine Champions Tour events this year.
The 51-year-old had considered playing the regular tour as long as time would let him. He turned 50 way back before last season began, but he played plenty well enough to win a couple million and finish 27th ' with the youngsters. So he figured this year to be roughly the same.
Alas, in 16 tries with the kids this season, he was only sitting in the 144th spot with little more than $485,000. It doesnt take Alan Greenspan to tell you which tour it would be wise to play on, not with almost $745,000 in nine events.
His first win of any kind since 1993 came in a Champions Tour event in North Carolina three weeks ago. That was a little of eye-opening, Jay said.
I played in Greensboro last week (on the regular tour) and felt pretty low and thought I was a little overwhelmed on that tour, so I didn't know what to think this week,' Haas said at the time, just after he had won the event. 'But I came here with a little better attitude, and I liked the golf course from the start.'
Slowly, but surely, hes been noticing the calendar, noticing that it says he was born back in 1953, realizing that people like Craig Stadler, Mark McNulty, Loren Roberts, Curtis Strange theyve all made the switch.
I don't know, it's hard to turn my back on it when I've played well the last couple years, Haas confessed. It's hard to say, you know, I've had enough of that. I would love to win over there (on the regular tour). You think I'm still capable. But I need to play better than I played.
And so, the Champions became more his focus. He had started thinking seriously about curtailing his regular-tour schedule back at the end of May at the Senior PGA. He spoke of the reasons he wanted to continue playing the regular tour, but also of his feelings about joining the gents full-time with whom he has spent the majority of his golfing career.
I guess last couple years I had, two years ago I was trying to qualify for the Presidents Cup, last year for the Ryder Cup, Haas said. This year I won't say I don't have goals, but Im not as, I'm not as focused on one certain thing this year.
And I think that's hurt me a little bit. I don't really seem to - I'm just kind of playing. And I think I need to change that. I need to focus on a certain goal that I want to try to achieve this year.
And I think that one of those is to win out here on the Champions Tour, he said last month. That's been a definite goal this year. To qualify for the season-ending, I guess it's called the Schwab Cup, the top 30 to get into that.
Haas is hampered mostly by his lack of length ' he could get it out there only 276 yards this year on the regular tour, and nowadays thats good for only 184th with the younger men. In addition, his putting suddenly turned sour when he was playing with the boys. He is only 152nd in that category.
But among the seniors, his driving distance of 278 doesnt seem so bad ' he hasnt had enough tries to be ranked, but he would be 31st if he had. Thats about where his putting average of 1.781 would place him ' in the 33rd spot.
So now, with only an occasional exception, Haas has launched a new career. Its called the Champions, and Haas has already proven hes a champion.
Email your thoughts to George White
Poulter offers explanation in dispute with marshal
Ian Poulter took to Twitter to offer an explanation after the Englishman was accused of verbally abusing a volunteer during the third round of the Scottish Open.
Poulter hooked his drive on the opening hole at Gullane Golf Club into a bush, where Quintin Jardine was working as a marshal. Poulter went on to find the ball, wedge out and make bogey, but the details of the moments leading up to his second shot differ depending on who you ask.
Jardine wrote a letter to the tournament director that he also turned into a colorfully-titled blog post, accusing Poulter of berating him for not going into the bush "feet first" in search of the ball since Poulter would have received a free drop had his ball been stepped on by an official.
"I stood and waited for the player. It turned out to be Mr. Poulter, who arrived in a shower of expletives and asked me where his ball was," Jardine wrote. "I told him and said that I had not ventured into the bush for fear of standing on it. I wasn't expecting thanks, but I wasn't expecting aggression, either."
Jardine added that Poulter stayed to exchange heated words with the volunteer even after wedging his ball back into the fairway. After shooting a final-round 69 to finish in a tie for 30th, Poulter tweeted his side of the story to his more than 2.3 million followers:
Disappointing. Clearly misunderstood my explanation. pic.twitter.com/YcKHMPf2v7— Ian Poulter (@IanJamesPoulter) July 15, 2018
Poulter, 42, won earlier this year on the PGA Tour at the Houston Open and is exempt into The Open at Carnoustie, where he will make his 17th Open appearance. His record includes a runner-up at Royal Birkdale in 2008 and a T-3 finish at Muirfield in 2013.
Immelman misses Open bid via OWGR tiebreaker
A resurgent performance at the Scottish Open gave Trevor Immelman his first top-10 finish in more than four years, but it left him short of a return to The Open by the slimmest of margins.
The former Masters champ turned back the clock this week at Gullane Golf Club, carding four straight rounds of 68 or better. That run included a 5-under 65 in the final round, which gave him a tie for third and left him five shots behind winner Brandon Stone. It was his first worldwide top-10 since a T-10 finish at the 2014 Farmers Insurance Open.
There were three spots available into The Open for players not otherwise exempt, and for a brief moment it appeared Immelman, 38, might sneak the third and final invite.
But with Stone and runner-up Eddie Pepperell both not qualified, that left the final spot to be decided between Immelman and Sweden's Jens Dantorp who, like Immelman, tied for third at 15 under.
As has been the case with other stops along the Open Qualifying Series, the tiebreaker to determine invites is the players' standing in the Official World Golf Rankings entering the week. Dantorp is currently No. 322 in the world, but with Immelman ranked No. 1380 the Swede got the nod.
This will mark Dantorp's first-ever major championship appearance. Immelman, who hasn't made the cut in a major since the 2013 Masters, was looking to return to The Open for 10th time and first since a missed cut at Royal Lytham six years ago. He will instead work the week at Carnoustie as part of Golf Channel and NBC's coverage of The Open.
Stone (60) wins Scottish Open, invite to Carnoustie
There's never a bad time to shoot a 60, but Brandon Stone certainly picked an opportune moment to do so.
Facing a jammed leaderboard in the final round of the Scottish Open, Stone fired a 10-under 60 to leave a stacked field in his wake and win the biggest tournament of his career. His 20-under 260 total left him four shots clear of Eddie Pepperell and five shots in front of a group that tied for third.
Stone had a mid-range birdie putt on No. 18 that would have given him the first 59 in European Tour history. But even after missing the putt on the left, Stone tapped in to close out a stellar round that included eight birdies, nine pars and an eagle. It's his third career European Tour title but first since the Alfred Dunhill Championship in December 2016.
Stone started the day three shots behind overnight leader Jens Dantorp, but he made an early move with three birdies over his first five holes and five over his first 10. Stone added a birdie on the par-3 12th, then took command with a three-hole run from Nos. 14-16 that included two birdies and an eagle.
The eye-popping score from the 25-year-old South African was even more surprising considering his lack of form entering the week. Stone is currently ranked No. 371 in the world and had missed four of his last seven worldwide cuts without finishing better than T-60.
Stone was not yet qualified for The Open, and as a result of his performance at Gullane Golf Club he will tee it up next week at Carnoustie. Stone headlined a group of three Open qualifiers, as Pepperell and Dantorp (T-3) also earned invites by virtue of their performance this week. The final spot in the Open will go to the top finisher not otherwise qualified from the John Deere Classic.
Daly (knee) replaced by Bradley in Open field
Former champion John Daly has withdrawn from The Open because of a right knee injury and will be replaced in the field at Carnoustie by another major winner, Keegan Bradley.
Daly, 52, defeated Costantino Rocca in a memorable playoff to win the claret jug at St. Andrews in 1995. His lingering knee pain led him to request a cart during last month's U.S. Senior Open, and when that request was denied he subsequently withdrew from the tournament.
Daly then received treatment on the knee and played in a PGA Tour event last week at The Greenbrier without the use of a cart, missing the cut with rounds of 77-67. But on the eve of the season's third major, he posted to Twitter that his pain remains "unbearable" and that a second request for a cart was turned down:
Sorry...really tried these last 2 days to compete & walk, my rt knee osteoarthritis is unbearable. It would have been nice to have gotten a cart but unfortunately was turned down by our tour board. I couldn’t even hit balls this am!— John Daly (@PGA_JohnDaly) July 14, 2018
This will be just the second time since 2000 that Daly has missed The Open, having also sat out the 2013 event at Muirfield. He last made the cut in 2012, when he tied for 81st at Royal Lytham. He could still have a few more chances to improve upon that record, given that past Open champions remain fully exempt until age 60.
Taking his place will be Bradley, who was first alternate based on his world ranking. Bradley missed the event last year but recorded three top-20 finishes in five appearances from 2012-16, including a T-18 finish two years ago at Royal Troon.
The next three alternates, in order, are Spain's Adrian Otaegui and Americans Aaron Wise and J.B. Holmes.