Weiskopfs Win at 73 Canadian Was End of Streak

By George WhiteSeptember 2, 2002, 4:00 pm
Back before the days of an upstart named Tiger Woods, Tom Weiskopf may have had as successful a three-month period as anyone has in golf history. It was 1973 - 30 years ago; the months were May, June and July; and Weiskopf came dangerously close to supplanting Jack Nicklaus in peoples minds as the best player in the game, at least for the moment.
The Canadian Open, forerunner to this weeks Bell Canadian Open, played a major part in Weiskopfs three-month run. The Canadian was played at the end of July and marked Weiskopfs final victory in a five-win streak, achieved in just eight tournaments in which he played.
Nicklaus, Weiskopfs old teammate for a couple of years at Ohio State, had won three times by May of 73. Arnold Palmer had won his last PGA Tour victory, the Bob Hope Desert Classic, in February of 1973. Thirty-three-year-old Lee Trevino had already won a couple of times, and another tour regular, Bruce Crampton, had also won three times in the first four months of the season.
Weiskopf hadnt won any. But my, how that was about to change.
He got it rolling by winning the second week of May. The Colonial in Fort Worth was where Weiskopf finally broke the drought that had lasted 14 months since he had last won. But Nicklaus won No. 4 of the year a couple of weeks after Weiskopf started his run, and Weiskopf was hardly noticed.
The first week of June, however, Weiskopf won again, this time at the Kemper Open. And then he did it again the very next week, at the IVB-Philadelphia Golf Classic. But Crampton deflected the attention again when won for the fourth time of the season the week after the U.S. Open ' won by Johnny Miller.
But Weiskopf headed for Scotland to play in the British Open, and he was nearly perfect in the years third major championship. He won easily, his fourth victory in just over two months. He led every round at Troon and beat Miller and Englands Neil Coles by three shots.
Weiskopf returned to North America following his victory in the major and teed it up in the Canadian Open July 16-29. He had only played in seven tournaments since that time of the second week in July when he won the Colonial ' but he won again at the Canadian to make it eight tournaments and five wins in just three months.

Weiskopf would win the Canadian Open again two years later, in 1975, but he was virtually finished as a competitive golfer. That sudden burst in 1973 was about the best anybody could do over just eight tournaments. Weiskopf knew he couldnt do better than lead the British Open wire-to-wire, or win five tournaments in such a short period of time. He played 10 more years, won six more times, but after those three months in 73, there wasnt anything else for him to prove.
Or so he thought. That bit of excellence could have been a springboard to greatness. Instead, it was the beginning of the end of a dream.
Now I think how it could have changed my life if I had put forth the effort, Weiskopf told Golf World magazine. But I think it kind of ended my career, to tell you the truth.
It was like, Finally I won a major. Its all over and I won the best. Im that type of person. I will quit when I finally feel that I have done the absolute best that I could ever do.
Nicklaus himself believes Weiskopf could have been a great one, much greater than he actually was. If anyone could have gotten inside Weiskopfs head and flipped the switches, it would have been so different.
He has always not believed he is that good, said Nicklaus. If you asked 100 people to name the top five players in the game as far as talent, his name would probably come up more than anyone. There just isnt anybody who has more talent than him.
The years since he played the last time on the regular tour in 84 have been hugely successful for Weiskopf, as far as wealth is concerned. He is a golf architect and with Jay Morrish has designed a number of excellent courses. He even plays the Senior Tour occasionally and has actually won four times.
He also is at peace with himself, though he still rues the time when all that tremendous talent went to waste.
I would hope that I am a different player than what I was when I last played he in 1984, said Weiskopf at the 95 U.S. Senior Open at Congressional near Washington, D.C. I remembered it very well. I walked off the golf course. That was the last year I competed on the regular tour. And about two months later I quit playing, just because I was so frustrated with myself.
But I never was one to blame the course or blame the situation or whatever. I always blamed myself. And sure, we do things that we are not very proud of. But yeah, I am a different person today. I would hope that I am.
Thirty years later, Weiskopf looks back on that one wonderful summer when he did it all ' the summer of 73. And it was at the Canadian Open where he won the last of his five wins. He was 31 years old, in the prime of his life. But to Weiskopf, it was virtually over.
Getty Images

LPGA's new Q-Series to offer deferrals for amateurs

By Randall MellMarch 21, 2018, 4:36 pm

The LPGA’s new Q-Series, which takes the place of the final stage of Q-School beginning this year, will come with a revolutionary new twist for amateurs.

For the first time, the LPGA will offer deferrals that will allow amateurs to win tour membership in December but delay turning pro until the following June or July, tour commissioner Mike Whan told GolfChannel.com.

It’s a notable change, because the deferral will allow a collegiate player to earn tour membership at the end of this year but retain amateur status to finish out her collegiate spring season next year, before joining the tour.

“We haven’t done that in the past, because we didn’t want an onslaught, where every player in college is trying to join the tour,” Whan said.

The way it worked in the past, a collegian could advance through the final stage of Q-School, but if that player earned the right to a tour card and wanted to take up membership, she had to declare after the final round that she was turning pro. It meant the player would leave her college team in the middle of the school year. It was a particularly difficult decision for players who earned conditional LPGA status, and it played havoc with the makeup of some college teams.

Whan said the revamped Q-Series format won’t create the collegiate stampede that deferrals might have in the past.

“It will take a unique talent to show up at the first stage of Q-School and say, ‘I’ll see you at Q-Series,’” Whan said. “There won’t be a lot of amateurs who make it there.”

Under the new qualifying format, there will continue to be a first and second stage of Q-School, but it will be much harder to advance to the final stage, now known Q-Series.

Under the old format, about 80 players advanced from the second stage to the Q-School finals. Under the new format, only 20 to 30 players from the second stage will advance to the Q-Series, and only a portion of those are likely to be collegians.

Under the new format, a maximum of 108 players will meet at the Q-Series finals, where a minimum of 45 tour cards will be awarded after 144 holes of competition, played over two weeks on two different courses. The field will include players who finished 101st to 150th and ties on the final LPGA money list, and players who finished 11th to 30th and ties on the final Symetra Tour money list. The field will also include up to 10 players from among the top 75 of the Rolex Women’s World Rankings and the top five players on the Golfweek Women’s Collegiate Rankings.

“We feel if you make it to the Q-Series finals as a college player, you are probably among the best of the best, and we ought to give you the opportunity to finish the college year,” Whan said.

University of Washington coach Mary Lou Mulflur said she would prefer amateurs not be allowed to compete at Q-School, but she called this a workable compromise.

“It’s a step in the right direction,” Mulflur said. “It’s better than the way it’s been in the past. That was hard, because it broke up teams.”

Mulflur said she disliked the tough position the former policy put college players in at the final stage of Q-School, where they had to decide at event’s end whether to turn pro and accept tour membership.

“I can’t imagine being a kid in that position, and I’ve had a couple kids in that position,” Mulflur said. “It’s hard on everybody, the player, the family and the coaches. You hear about coaches standing there begging a kid not to turn pro, and that’s just not the way it should be, for the coach or the player.”

Mulflur agreed with Whan that the new Q-Series format should limit the number of collegians who have a chance to win tour cards.

“I believe it’s a good compromise, and it will be interesting to see how it plays out going forward,” Mulflur said. “Kudos to the commissioner for giving kids this option.”

Whan said collegians who take deferrals will be counseled.

“We will sit down with them and their families and explain the risks,” Whan said. “If you take a deferral and start playing on July 15, you might find yourself back in Q-Series again later that year, because you may not have enough time.”

Getty Images

Tour still focused on security after death of suspected Austin bomber

By Rex HoggardMarch 21, 2018, 4:07 pm

AUSTIN, Texas – Although the suspect in the wave of Austin-area bombings was killed early Wednesday, the PGA Tour plans to continue heightened security measures at this week’s WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play at Austin Country Club.

According to various news outlets, Mark Anthony Conditt has been identified as the bombings suspect, and he was killed by an explosion inside his car in Round Rock, Texas, which is 19 miles north of Austin Country Club.

WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play: Full bracket | Scoring | Group standings

WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play: Articles, photos and videos

“We do not comment on the specifics of our security measures, but we are continuing to work in close collaboration with federal, state and local law enforcement agencies in Austin to ensure the safety of our players and fans at this week’s tournament,” the Tour said in a statement. “Regardless of the recent developments, our heightened security procedures will remain in place through the remainder of the week.”

Authorities believe Conditt is responsible for the five explosions that killed two people and injured five others in Austin or south-central Texas since March 2.

Play began Wednesday at the Match Play.

Getty Images

Monahan addresses alcohol, fan behavior at events

By Rex HoggardMarch 21, 2018, 3:53 pm

AUSTIN, Texas – Fan behavior has become a hot-button topic on the PGA Tour in recent weeks, with Rory McIlroy suggesting on Saturday at the Arnold Palmer Invitational the circuit should “limit alcohol sales on the course.”

The Tour’s policy is to stop selling alcohol an hour before the end of play, which is normally around 5 p.m., and on Wednesday at the WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play commissioner Jay Monahan said it’s something the Tour is monitoring.

“When you have people who aren’t behaving properly and they’ve had too much alcohol, then I agree [with McIlroy],” Monahan said. “In those incidences those people who are making it uncomfortable for a player alcohol sales should be cut off.”

WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play: Full bracket | Scoring | Group standings

WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play: Articles, photos and videos

Fan behavior became an issue with some players when Tiger Woods returned to competition at last month’s Genesis Open. During the final round of the Honda Classic Justin Thomas had a fan removed when he yelled for Thomas’ tee shot at the par-4 16th hole to “get in the bunker.”

Monahan declined to address Thomas’ situation at PGA National specifically, but he did seem to suggest that as interest grows and the Tour continues to attract more mainstream sports crowds, vocal fans will continue to be the norm.

“I believe that there was more that went into it that preceded and in a situation like that we’re hopeful our players will reach out to our security staff and they can handle that,” Monahan said. “[But] yelling, ‘get in the bunker,’ that’s part of what our players have to accept. In any sport, you go to an away game, in any other sport, and people aren’t rooting for you. Sometimes out here you’re going to have fans that aren’t rooting for you, but they can’t interfere with what you’re trying to do competitively.”

Getty Images

Senden playing first event since son's brain tumor

By Will GrayMarch 21, 2018, 3:03 pm

John Senden is back inside the ropes for the first time in nearly a year at this week's Chitimacha Louisiana Open on the Web.com Tour.

Senden took a leave of absence from professional golf in April, when his teenage son, Jacob, was diagnosed with a brain tumor. He didn't touch a club for nearly four months as Jacob endured six rounds of chemotherapy and radiation, a gauntlet that stretched from April until mid-November.

But Senden told PGATour.com that his son's tumor has shrunk from the size of a thumbnail to the size of a pinky nail, and after a promising MRI in January he decided to plan his comeback.

"I haven't really played in 12 months, but in that time Jacob has really, really hung tough," Senden said. "His whole body was getting slammed with all these treatments, and he was so strong in his whole attitude and his whole body. Just really getting through the whole thing. He was tough."

Senden was granted a family crisis exemption by the Tour, and he'll have 13 starts to earn 310 FedExCup points to retain his playing privileges for the 2018-19 season. He is allowed five Web.com "rehabilitation" starts as part of the exemption, but will reportedly only make one this week before returning to the PGA Tour at the RBC Heritage, followed by starts in San Antonio, Charlotte and Dallas.

Senden, 46, has won twice on Tour, most recently the 2014 Valspar Championship.