Bubba: 'Right gesture' to remove Confederate flag from General Lee

By Golf Channel DigitalJuly 3, 2015, 6:21 pm

Bubba Watson further explained on Friday his reasoning to remove the Confederate flag image from the roof of his General Lee car.

Watson, who purchased the original “Dukes of Hazzard” TV show vehicle in 2012, tweeted this Thursday evening: "All men ARE created equal, I believe that so I will be painting the American flag over the roof of the General Lee."

Friday he expounded.

“It was a great show, I loved the show, still a fan of the show,” Watson said at The Greenbrier Classic. “There was no racism in the show that I can remember. Me and my dad, me and my family used to watch it. And who doesn’t want a car that jumps?

“But the flag is offensive to some people. You know, (there was) enough buzz and I felt it was the right gesture for me to do. I don’t stand for hatred. I think we’re all created equal, like I said in the tweet.”

Watson said he experienced some backlash after he purchased the iconic car and that he had only taken it out of his garage once in the last couple of years – just to replace the battery.

“I don’t drive it,” Watson said. “Once people start putting hatred on it; I don’t want to be involved with that.”



Watson, a native of Bagdad, Fla., who was born a couple of months before “Dukes of Hazzard” premiered in January, 1979, said he bought the vehicle “like a trophy.”

“I don’t see anything wrong with the TV show. The flag is the controversy, not the TV show,” he said.

“It’s American history – the car itself and the TV show itself. So I thought the best statement would be to put the United States flag on there."

Warner Bros. announced last week that it would no longer sanction or manufacture "Dukes of Hazzard" merchandise bearing the flag, and TV Land on Wednesday confirmed that it will remove re-runs of the show from its lineup.

Watson has repeatedly said in recent years that he doesn’t pay attention to anything in the media and reiterated that Friday. He said he was unaware of the church shooting in Charleston, S.C., on June 17, in which nine black people were killed by a 21-year-old white male.

Watson said his manager informed him last week, while he was in the process of winning the Travelers Championship, that controversy surrounding the Confederate flag was escalating.

“He texted me and said, ‘Uh, we might need to do something,’” Watson said.

“Until he mentioned it to me, I had no clue.”

Watson, who owns a residence at The Greenbrier, is at 5 under par through two rounds and in contention for a second PGA Tour title in as many weeks.

Getty Images

Fleetwood, with his fancy umbrella, fires 65 on Day 2

By Rex HoggardJuly 20, 2018, 12:34 pm

CARNOUSTIE, Scotland – Tommy Fleetwood looked like an Open rookie when he set out on Friday under gray skies and a cold, steady rain.

Because the Englishman doesn’t have an equipment sponsor he made a quick turn through the merchandise tent for an umbrella – but at least he didn’t have to pay for it.

“We stole it,” he laughed when asked about his Open-brand umbrella. “We got one given for free, actually. We didn't steal it. We don't always carry an umbrella. So it just so happens this week that we've got a nice Open Championship [umbrella]. It looked quite nice, the yellow and the course.”


Full-field scores from the 147th Open Championship

Full coverage of the 147th Open Championship


It was Fleetwood’s only rookie move on Day 2 at Carnoustie, posting a flawless 65 to move into an early tie for second place at 5 under par.

Fleetwood holds the competitive course record at Carnoustie, a 9-under 63 he shot last fall during the European Tour’s Dunhill Links Championship, but given Friday’s conditions and the difficulty of this course during The Open, his 65 on Friday might have been better.

“It's not a course record, but it's pretty good,” said Fleetwood, who was stroke behind leader Zach Johnson. “If you went out, you wouldn't really fancy being 6 under out there. So I think that's a good indication of how good it was.”

It was a dramatic turnaround for Fleetwood on Friday. He said he struggled with his ball-striking, specifically his tee shots, on Day 1, but he was able to turn things around with an hour-long session on the range following his opening round.

Getty Images

Tiger Tracker: 147th Open Championship

By Tiger TrackerJuly 20, 2018, 10:15 am

Following an even-par 71 in the first round of the 147th Open Championship, Tiger Woods looks to make a move on Day 2 at Carnoustie.


Getty Images

McIlroy responds to Harmon's 'robot' criticism

By Mercer BaggsJuly 20, 2018, 6:53 am

CARNOUSTIE, Scotland – Rory McIlroy said during his pre-championship news conference that he wanted to play more "carefree" – citing Jon Rahm’s approach now and the way McIlroy played in his younger days.

McIlroy got off to a good start Thursday at Carnoustie, shooting 2-under 69, good for a share of eighth place.

But while McIlroy admits to wanting to be a little less structured on the course, he took offense to comments made by swing coach Butch Harmon during a Sky Sports telecast.

Said Harmon:

“Rory had this spell when he wasn’t putting good and hitting the ball good, and he got so wrapped up in how he was going to do it he forgot how to do it.


Full-field scores from the 147th Open Championship

Full coverage of the 147th Open Championship


“He is one of the best players the game has ever seen. If he would just go back to being a kid and playing the way he won these championships and play your game, don’t have any fear or robotic thoughts. Just play golf. Just go do it.

“This is a young kid who’s still one of the best players in the world. He needs to understand that. Forget about your brand and your endorsement contracts. Forget about all that. Just go back to having fun playing golf. I still think he is one of the best in the world and can be No.1 again if he just lets himself do it.”

McIlroy, who has never worked with Harmon, responded to the comments when asked about them following his opening round.

“Look, I like Butch. Definitely, I would say I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum than someone that's mechanical and someone that's – you know, it's easy to make comments when you don't know what's happening,” McIlroy said. “I haven't spoken to Butch in a long time. He doesn't know what I'm working on in my swing. He doesn't know what's in my head. So it's easy to make comments and easy to speculate. But unless you actually know what's happening, I just really don't take any notice of it.”

McIlroy second round at The Open began at 2:52 a.m. ET.

Getty Images

How The Open cut line is determined

By Golf Channel DigitalJuly 20, 2018, 5:57 am

Scores on Day 1 of the 147th Open Championship ranged from 5-under 66 to 11-over 82.

The field of 156 players will be cut nearly in half for weekend play at Carnoustie. Here’s how the cut line works in the season’s third major championship:


Full-field scores from the 147th Open Championship

Full coverage of the 147th Open Championship


• After 36 holes, the low 70 players and ties will advance to compete in the final two rounds. Anyone finishing worse than that will get the boot. Only those making the cut earn official money from the $10.5 million purse.

• There is no 10-shot rule. That rule means anyone within 10 shots of the lead after two rounds, regardless of where they stand in the championship, make the cut. It’s just a flat top 70 finishers and ties.

• There is only a single cut at The Open. PGA Tour events employ an MDF (Made cut Did not Finish) rule, which narrows the field after the third round if more than 78 players make the cut. That is not used at this major.

The projected cut line after the first round this week was 1 over par, which included 71 players tied for 50th or better.