ST. ANDREWS, Scotland – The R&A appears in no rush to make a decision about Turnberry’s status in the Open rota after owner Donald Trump's derogatory remarks about Mexican immigrants.
“Well, it’s had a lot of publicity, hasn’t it?” chief executive Peter Dawson said Wednesday at St. Andrews. “We don’t have any decisions to make about Turnberry for quite some time, and I think we’ll just let a bit of time pass and future championship committees will deal with them at the time.”
Turnberry hasn’t hosted a men’s Open since 2009. It will stage the July 30-Aug. 2 Women’s British Open, though not without a bit of controversy. After the LPGA suggested in a statement that it would prefer to play the Open at a course other than Turnberry, Trump fired back at commissioner Mike Whan and offered to allow him to move the event to another site despite “an absolutely binding contract.”
In other venue news: Despite reports that Royal Portrush will host the 2019 Open, Dawson said that the R&A is not yet ready to make an announcement about the date. The R&A also has “no intention” of heading to Royal Porthcawl, which last year hosted the Senior British Open.