Getty Images

Glover to 911: 'My wife has gone crazy'

By Rex HoggardMay 16, 2018, 11:51 pm

Krista Glover, who was arrested and charged with domestic battery and resisting arrest without violence on Saturday in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., is not permitted to have any contact with her husband, PGA Tour player Lucas Glover, or to be within 500 feet of the couple’s South Florida home.

The order was issued on Monday following Krista Glover’s arrest, which stemmed from an altercation with her husband and his mother, Hersey.

Officials in St. John’s County also released the 911 call made by Krista Glover that led to her arrest. When deputies called back, Lucas Glover answered.

“Yeah, hi, I think we got our lines crossed here. This is the husband, the sane one of the bunch,” Glover said in a calm voice. “My wife has called you . ... Now she's trying to blame it on my mother, which is not the case at all. ... My wife has gone crazy.”

According to the arrest report, Glover told deputies that his wife began berating him for playing poorly at The Players, where he missed the secondary cut on Saturday. Glover also said Krista had been drinking throughout the day.


AT&T Byron Nelson: Articles, photos and videos


In the initial 911 call, Krista Glover said she had been attacked by her mother-in-law, who had locked herself in her room. When asked how she was attacked, Glover's wife hung up and Glover answered when 911 called back.

Lucas Glover told the 911 operator that there was no need for a rescue squad to come to the rental house where they were staying, and when asked if the operator could speak with Krista he responded: “No, you cannot. She's in the house with my daughter. And when deputies get here, they need to talk to the male – that would be me – because these other two are out of their heads at the moment.”

Glover also told the 911 operator: “Well, [Krista is] going to lie to you. That's what I'm telling you. That's why I answered the phone. She's telling lies.”

According to the arrest report, both Lucas Glover and his mother had injuries. Glover said his wife began the altercation when he was on the back porch and then began attacking his mother when she tried to intervene.

A pre-trial hearing for Krista Glover has been set for June 22. She has pleaded not guilty to both charges.

Getty Images

Kisner doubles 18, defends not laying up

By Rex HoggardJuly 20, 2018, 6:42 pm

CARNOUSTIE, Scotland – It was only fitting that Jean Van de Velde was there working as an on-course reporter on Friday as Kevin Kisner struggled his way up Carnoustie’s 18th fairway.

Rolling along with a two-stroke lead, Kisner’s 8-iron approach shot from an awkward lie in the rough from 160 yards squirted right and bounced into Barry Burn, the winding creek where Van de Velde’s title chances at the 1999 Open Championship began to erode.

Unlike Van de Velde, who made a triple bogey-7 and lost The Open in a playoff, Kisner’s double bogey only cost him the solo lead and he still has 36 holes to make his closing miscue a distant memory. That’s probably why the 34-year-old seemed at ease with his plight.


Full-field scores from the 147th Open Championship

Full coverage of the 147th Open Championship


“It just came out like a high flop shot to the right. It was weird. I don't know if it caught something or what happened,” said Kisner, who was tied with Zach Johnson and Zander Lombard at 6 under par. “You never know out of that grass. It was in a different grass than usual. It was wet, green grass instead of the brown grass. So I hadn't really played from that too much.”

Like most in this week’s field Kisner also understands that rounds on what is widely considered the most difficult major championship venue can quickly unravel even with the most innocent of mistakes.

“To play 35 holes without a double I thought was pretty good,” he said. “I've kept the ball in play, done everything I wanted to do all the way up into that hole. Just one of those things that came out completely different than we expected. I'll live with that more than chipping out and laying up from 20 feet.”

Getty Images

Wind, not rain more a weekend factor at Open

By Mercer BaggsJuly 20, 2018, 6:39 pm

CARNOUSTIE, Scotland – After a half-day of rain in Round 2 of the 147th Open Championship, the weekend offers a much drier forecast.

Saturday at Carnoustie is projected to be mostly cloudy with a high of 62 degrees and only a 20 percent chance of rain.


Full-field scores from the 147th Open Championship

Full coverage of the 147th Open Championship


Sunday calls for much warmer conditions, with temperatures rising upwards of 73 degrees under mostly cloudy skies.

Wind might be the only element the players have to factor in over the final 36 holes. While the winds will be relatively calm on Saturday, expected around 10-15 mph, they could increase to 25 mph in the final round.

Getty Images

Van Rooyen holes putt after ball-marker ruling

By Ryan LavnerJuly 20, 2018, 4:50 pm

CARNOUSTIE, Scotland – Erik van Rooyen was surveying his 10-footer for par, trying to get a feel for the putt, when his putter slipped out of his hand and dropped onto his ball marker.

The question, then, was whether that accident caused his coin to move.

The rules official looked at various camera angles but none showed definitively whether his coin moved. The ruling was made to continue from where his coin was now positioned, with no penalty.


Full-field scores from the 147th Open Championship

Full coverage of the 147th Open Championship


This was part of the recent rules changes, ensuring there is no penalty if the ball or ball maker is accidently moved by the player. The little-used rule drew attention in 2010, when Ian Poulter accidentally dropped his ball on his marker in Dubai and wound up losing more than $400,000 in bonus and prize money.

After the delay to sort out his ruling Friday, van Rooyen steadied himself and made the putt for par, capping a day in which he shot even-par 71 and kept himself in the mix at The Open. He was at 4-under 138, just two shots off the clubhouse lead.

“I wanted to get going and get this 10-footer to save par, but I think having maybe just a couple minutes to calm me down, and then I actually got a different read when I sat down and looked at it again,” he said. “Good putt. Happy to finish that way.”

Getty Images

Lyle birdies last hole in likely his final Open start

By Ryan LavnerJuly 20, 2018, 4:32 pm

CARNOUSTIE, Scotland – If this was Sandy Lyle’s final Open appearance, he went out in style.

Playing on the final year of his automatic age exemption, the 60-year-old Scot buried a 30-foot birdie on the last hole. He missed the cut after shooting 9-over 151 over two rounds.

“I was very light-footed,” he said. “I was on cloud nine walking down the 18th. To make birdie was extra special.”


Full-field scores from the 147th Open Championship

Full coverage of the 147th Open Championship


Lyle, who also won the 1988 Masters, has missed the cut in his last eight majors, dating to 2014. He hasn’t been competitive in The Open since 1998, when he tied for 19th.

To continue playing in The Open, Lyle needed to finish in the top 10 here at Carnoustie. He’d earn a future exemption by winning the Senior British Open.

“More punishment,” he said.