Tiger Woods didn’t ramp up his practice until this week and one session didn’t last very long, according to Golf Channel insider Tim Rosaforte.
Appearing Saturday on “Morning Drive,” Rosaforte reported, “I was told that Tuesday was the first time that Tiger had been back out to Medalist since returning from Dubai. Secondly, he was out there again for a session later in the week. I believe it was Thursday. And I was told he was there for less than five minutes.”
Woods, who hasn’t played since withdrawing before the second round in Dubai in February, announced on Friday that he would not be competing in the Masters Tournament.
It’s the third time in four years that the four-time champion has not played the season’s first major.
Rosaforte talked to Woods’ agent, Mark Steinberg: “He confirmed Tiger just started hitting balls in a full capacity this week and so the timetable got so condensed there was no way for him to get ready to play next week.”
Rosaforte said Woods had been working with swing coach Chris Como at his Jupiter home, which has a simulator, hitting bays and a short course in his backyard.
Woods was scheduled to give an interview at 1 p.m. ET on Tuesday of the Masters. But, according to Rosaforte, that will likely not happen.
“At the time this was put on the books there was still some anticipation and some hope, obviously, that he was still going to be able to tee it up on Thursday,” said Rosaforte, who noted the Woods camp had been in constant communication with Augusta National officials.