Golf Talk Live - Phil Mickelson Transcript Segment 5

By Golf Channel DigitalMarch 19, 2001, 5:00 pm
PETER KESSLER
SO THE OTHER NIGHT WHEN YOU WALKED IN THE STUDIO, YOU TOLD ME I WASN'T AS HEAVY AS I USUALLY WAS AND I TOLD YOU YOU LOOKED PRETTY GOOD AND YOU SAID NO I'M PRETTY HEAVY AND SO I WAS THINKING, WELL, WHAT KIND OF COMMITMENT TO FITNESS ARE YOU CONSIDERING AT THIS POINT?

PHIL MICKELSON
WELL, SURPRISINGLY I'VE BEEN WORKING OUT PRETTY STEADILY. I KNOW IT DOESN'T SHOW. I HAVE BEEN HITTING ALL TIME HIGHS WHICH SUCKS BUT THE LAST FEW WEEKS I'VE BEEN WORKING OUT PRETTY RELIGIOUSLY FIVE OR SIX TIMES

A WEEK AND IT'S NOT BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE IT'S GOING TO HELP MY GAME OR ANYTHING. IT'S JUST BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE, I FEEL BETTER ABOUT MYSELF WHEN I WORK OUT, WHETHER IT'S CARDIOVASCULAR OR LIFTING WEIGHTS

I ENJOY DOING BOTH. I'LL ONLY LIFT AT NIGHT THOUGH. I WON'T LIFT BEFORE I PLAY AND I FEEL LIKE IT WILL ELONGATE MY CAREER, POSSIBLY PREVENT INJURY BUT ALSO I STARTED THINKING, YOU KNOW, I WANT TO BE IN GOOD HEALTH SO

THAT WHEN I'M 60, 65, 70 I'LL STILL BE ABLE TO ENJOY MY CHILDREN'S LIVES AND WATCH THEM GROW AND DEVELOP AND I THINK THAT EACH PARENT REALLY FEELS THE NEED TO BE AROUND AND

WANTS TO BE AROUND TO ENJOY THEIR GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT AND SO THAT'S ANOTHER BIG REASON WHY I'VE BEEN WORKING OUT A LITTLE BIT MORE.

PETER KESSLER
WHAT'S YOUR EATING WEAKNESS? WHAT DO YOU LOVE THAT YOU HAVE TOO MUCH OF OR DO YOU EAT LATE AT NIGHT?

PHIL MICKELSON
WELL I'M ON A VERY STRICT DIET THAT A DOCTOR PUT ME ON. HE SAID THAT I CAN EAT WHATEVER I WANT,

BUT I JUST CAN'T SWALLOW IT

PETER KESSLER
THAT'S A GOOD DIET
(LAUGHS)

PHIL MICKELSON
AND SO THE SWALLOWING PART HAS BEEN KILLING ME BECAUSE IT JUST SEEMS TO FALL, FALL RIGHT ON DOWN BUT I, I LIKE ALL FOODS AND, AND IT'S JUST TOUGH FOR ME TO EAT A SALAD WITHOUT DRESSING, OR A CHICKEN PLAIN. IT JUST, IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

PETER KESSLER
(LAUGHS) BECAUSE YOU CAN EAT WHATEVER YOU WANT ON THIS NEW SPECIAL DIET.

LET'S CHECK IN WITH MARK WHO'S HERE IN FLORIDA. GO AHEAD MARK.

MARK, CALLER FROM FLORIDA (MALE):
GOOD EVENING GENTLEMEN.

PHIL MICKELSON
HI MARK

PETER KESSLER
HOW ARE YOU, SIR?

MARK, CALLER FROM FLORIDA (MALE):
HI. PHIL, EARLIER THIS YEAR, U.S.A. TODAY HAD A STORY REGARDING, IT WAS THEIR BIG GOLF ISSUE AND THEY SAID, THEY DIDN'T QUOTE YOU DIRECTLY BUT THEY HAD A STATEMENT ABOUT TOURNAMENTS HELD OPPOSITE THE MORE ELITE TOURNAMENTS, SUCH AS

TUCSON AND MERCEDES AND THEY SAID THAT YOU QUESTIONED THE NEED TO HAVE SUCH TOURNAMENTS AND I WAS WONDERING IF THAT WAS AN ACCURATE STATEMENT OR IF NOT, WHAT KIND OF CONTEXT WAS THAT IN?

PHIL MICKELSON
IT'S PRETTY CLOSE. I CERTAINLY FEEL THAT WHEN WE HAVE CONFLICTING EVENTS WE'RE DILUTING THE PRODUCT THAT WE PRESENT TO THE PUBLIC. JUST LIKE EXPANSION BASEBALL. EXPANSION

FOOTBALL. WE HAVE TO CREATE MORE JOBS TO FILL THOSE SPOTS AND THE JOBS THAT WE USE TO CREATE THOSE ARE, ARE LESS THAN THE TOP PLAYERS AND WE'RE NOT GIVING THE PUBLIC THE STRONGEST PRODUCT THAT WE CAN PRESENT AND ULTIMATELY WHAT HAPPENED WAS,

THREE YEARS AGO WHEN WE CAME OUT WITH THE WORLD GOLF CHAMPIONSHIPS, WE HAD EIGHT TOURNAMENTS WHERE EVERY ONE OF THE TOP 64 PLAYERS IN THE WORLD PLAYED IN AND IT WAS AWESOME. WE HAD THE FIVE, OR THE FOUR MAJORS

AND THE PLAYERS CHAMPIONSHIP, FIVE TOURNAMENTS, AND EVERYBODY PLAYED THE WORLD GOLF CHAMPIONSHIPS, BUT WHAT HAPPENED WAS, WE HAD THESE CONFLICTING EVENTS THAT THE PURSES WERE MUCH SMALLER AND WE HAD ALL THE PLAYERS ON TOUR SAY THAT'S NOT

RIGHT, IT'S A SELF FULFILLING PROPHECY, YOU'RE GOING TO MAKE MORE MONEY AND THE SAME GUYS WILL KEEP REPEATING AND SO WHAT WE DID WAS WE TOOK SOME EXCESS REVENUE THAT THE TOUR HAD CREATED AND SUPPLEMENTED IT INTO THOSE TOURNAMENTS BUILDING UP THOSE PURSES AND SO NOW, ALL THE

OTHER TOURNAMENTS HAVE PRETTY MUCH CAUGHT UP WITH THE WORLD GOLF CHAMPIONSHIP. THEY'RE ALL BETWEEN THREE AND A HALF AND FOUR AND A HALF MILLION AND SO PLAYERS NO LONGER FEEL THE NEED TO PLAY THE WORLD GOLF

CHAMPIONSHIPS, SO NOW INSTEAD OF HAVING EIGHT TOURNAMENTS THAT ALL THE TOP PLAYERS PLAY IN WE HAVE FIVE AGAIN, AND I JUST THINK THAT HAD WE TAKEN THE MONEY THAT WE HAD PUT INTO THOSE CONFLICTING EVENTS AND

PUT IT TO KEEP THE WORLD GOLF CHAMPIONSHIPS AHEAD OF THE FIELD PURSE WISE, WE WOULD STILL HAVE
EIGHT TOURNAMENTS WHERE WE PRESENTED THE BEST PLAYERS TO THE PUBLIC.

PETER KESSLER
SPEAKING OF PRESENTING THE BEST PLAYERS, IS NICKLAUS GOING TO HAVE A PROBLEM GETTING THE BEST TEAM TOGETHER FOR THE PRESIDENT'S CUP TO GO DOWN TO SOUTH AFRICA NEXT YEAR?

PHIL MICKELSON
THAT'S A GOOD QUESTION. I DON'T THINK WE WILL KNOW THAT UNTIL ABOUT A MONTH OR TWO BEFOREHAND BECAUSE CERTAINLY A LOT CAN HAPPEN OVER THE COURSE OF THE YEAR AND RIGHT NOW A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE JUST THINKING ABOUT

THE RYDER CUP. LET'S, LET'S GO OVER TO THE BELFRY AND SEE IF WE CAN RETAIN THAT CUP, AND SO NOT TOO MANY PEOPLE ARE REALLY LOOKING A YEAR AND A HALF ADVANCE ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE PRESIDENT'S CUP IN SOUTH AFRICA, SO THAT'S A TOUGH QUESTION TO ANSWER RIGHT NOW.

PETER KESSLER
WHO ARE YOUR HEROES THAT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH GOLF?

PHIL MICKELSON
WELL I, I RESPECT A LOT OF PEOPLE AND I RESPECT PEOPLE THAT HAVE, I LOVE THE STORY. IT CAN BE FROM A CEO OF A COMPANY, LIKE THAT, THAT HAS A GREAT STORY AND I REALLY WANT TO MENTION NAMES BUT THAT COME FROM VERY DIFFICULT BACKGROUNDS OR IT COULD

BE JUST SOMEBODY LIKE, LIKE MY DAD, AND MY DAD HAS OVERCOME A LOT AND HAS DONE A LOT AND IS VERY GOOD AT EVERYTHING THAT HE DOES AND SO I RESPECT HIM AS AN INDIVIDUAL. IN FACT, I'VE LEARNED A LOT FROM HIM. I'VE LEARNED FROM MY MOM, I'VE GOTTEN MY SENSE OF HUMOR. I'M VERY SIMILAR TO HER IN THAT REGARD, BUT I'M VERY SIMILAR TO MY DAD IN MY THOUGHT

PROCESS AND DECISION MAKING AND I THINK THAT I RESPECT THE WAY HE GOES ABOUT THINGS AND THAT HE ANALYZES THE SITUATION, GATHERS AS MUCH INFORMATION AS HE CAN BEFORE HE FORMULATES A DECISION.

PETER KESSLER
WHAT DO THEY SAY TO YOU ABOUT WHAT THEY THINK YOU'VE BECOME AS A MAN, AS A FATHER, AS A HUSBAND, AS AN ATHLETE?

PHIL MICKELSON
WELL I THINK IT'S VERY DIFFICULT FROM A PARENT'S POINT OF VIEW TO LET THEIR CHILD OUT ON THEIR OWN AND IT CERTAINLY STARTED IN COLLEGE. IT STARTS IN COLLEGE FOR MOST FAMILIES

BUT IT'S STILL, YOU'RE ALWAYS THEIR BABY AND JUST LIKE AMANDA WILL ALWAYS BE MY DAUGHTER. SHE COULD BE 35 OR 30 YEARS OLD, SHE'LL STILL BE MY BABY AND SO MY PARENTS LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT AND I THINK THAT IT'S BEEN TOUGH FOR THEM TO WATCH ME

GO OUT AND, AND JUST BE ON MY OWN BUT I THINK THAT, NOT, I THINK THEY'RE MORE EXCITED ABOUT AMY AND AMANDA THAN THEY ARE ABOUT ANYTHING THAT I'VE EVER DONE IN GOLF, WHICH IS GREAT BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT, THAT'S WHAT IS SO FULFILLING ABOUT LIFE IS THE FAMILY
AND THE RELATIONSHIPS THAT WE HAVE.

PETER KESSLER
WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK. AS WE LEAVE WE'VE GOT A LITTLE SHOT FROM THE '99 RYDER CUP.

(MUSIC)

PHIL MICKELSON
THIS IS A COOL SHOT. A LITTLE WEDGE HERE ON TEN AND, AND TOM LEHMAN COMES OVER AND GIVES ME THE BIGGEST BEAR HUG AND THEN HE, AND THIS IS WHERE I KNEW I WAS HEAVY BECAUSE HE SAID YOU WEIGH A HECK OF A LOT MORE THAN CORY PAVIN.

PETER KESSLER
EVEN WITH THAT SHORT HAIRCUT.

PHIL MICKELSON
LOOK AT THAT. HE GOT ME UP, BUT HE, HE SAID IT WAS TOUGH.

PETER KESSLER
AND HE'S A BIG BEAR. WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

(BREAK)