OHairs Father Releases Him from Contracts

By Golf Channel NewsroomJuly 27, 2005, 4:00 pm
The saga of Sean OHair and his father, Marc, has added another chapter. A fax from the elder O'Hair Wednesday said that he was releasing his son from financial contracts entered years ago.
 
Even though Sean must sooner or later assume responsibilities for his own actions, I will bail him out of another one of his problems by releasing him from liability concerning the contracts he is free he owes me nothing, Marc OHair said in his statement. (See full statement)
 
Sean O
Sean O'Hair has already earned almost $2 million in his rookie year on the PGA Tour.
Sean, 23, signed his first contract with his father when he was 17, agreeing to give him 10 percent of his earnings as a professional for life. He signed another one when he was 20, according to his father.
 
OHair has earned over $1.8 million in his rookie season on the PGA Tour, which includes a victory in the John Deere Classic.
 
OHair, who qualified for the tour through Q-school last year, turned professional at 17 at the insistence of his father, prior to completing high school. His father sold his business and reportedly invested $2 million in his sons professional future.
 
I was in business 20-plus years and I know how to make a profit,' he told 60 Minutes II in 2002. You've got the same old thing: it's material, labor and overhead. He's pretty good labor.
 
The two toured the country playing mini-tour events, with the father pushing his son relentlessly.
 
Sean began every day at 5 a.m., running and lifting weights. He was forced to run a mile for every stroke he finished a round over par. Fellow players remembered Marc verbally abusing his son on and off the course.
 
The two parted ways in 2002. They havent spoken since Seans wedding to Jackie Lucas in December of that year. The two had their first child, daughter Molly, in February of this year.
 
Sean has been a popular figure this season on tour. His story has been told and retold countless times. Wednesdays statement was Marcs first public response to the criticism he has faced.
 
Because I love Sean, I put a long-term plan together and financed it producing one of the best young players in the world. I demanded long hours and a commitment to excellence that I do not regret, the fax said.
 
In those stale years from the fall of 99 thru the fall of 02, Seans game went into seclusion as a result of being bitterly frustrated because he was stuck between adolescence and young adulthood.
 
As a rookie parent, I didnt recognize the problem and we had a very painful split. It wasnt until after Seans marriage that I realized that he simply needed his independence from me and wanted his own space with his woman to spread his eagle wings and fly. But Sean and his wife, in almost a vindictive tantrum, began a media assault a couple of years ago that has branded me forever. I wish Sean had just given me a call to tell me how bitter he was and why he was so bitter instead of unfairly bashing me in the press. There were so many twisted truths and outright lies told about me in the media.
 
I would have responded to the media blitzes in the past but didnt at my wife Brendas request.
 
Marc O'Hair confirmed that he sent the fax via another fax. 'I wanted to get this fax out before the Buick begins (Thursday),' said the message. 'Maybe I'll get lucky and be left alone to watch Sean.'
 
Related Links:
  • Marc O'Hair's Full Statement
  • Full Coverage - Buick Open
  • Scores - Buick Open
  • O'Hair's Scorecard - Buick Open
  • Getty Images

    Randall's Rant: Too much Tiger for his own good?

    By Randall MellAugust 20, 2018, 10:00 pm

    We could be getting a dose of way too much Tiger Woods.

    Yeah, that’s difficult to fathom, given how good his return to the game has been on so many levels, but the man might be too close to winning for his own good right now.

    I’m not a doctor, I don’t play one on TV, and I didn’t sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but a reasonable person has to wonder how playing the next three weeks in a row – five of the next six weeks – will affect Woods’ surgically fused spine.

    That isn’t to say Woods is actually going to end up playing that much, but it looms as a real possibility.

    In fact, dating back to the WGC Bridgestone, it’s possible he could be amid a run of playing seven times in the last nine weeks.

    My sacroiliac joint is throbbing at the thought.

    Beginning with The Northern Trust this week, Woods is committed to the first three legs of the FedExCup Playoffs, and it’s difficult to imagine he wouldn’t play the final leg at the Tour Championship if he qualifies.

    It’s impossible to imagine he won’t be among Jim Furyk’s four captain’s picks to play the Ryder Cup.

    So if Woods continues this streak of strong play, what’s going to give?

    We hope it isn’t his back.

    Or his neck.

    Or his knees.

    Only Woods and his doctors really know how much the 42-year-old can take physically, but there is more to lose than to gain by overdoing it now.

    Yeah, the FedExCup Playoffs are great fun, more meaningful with each passing year, but it’s all about the major championships now for Woods.

    Competitively, it’s all that matters.

    Nobody but the most anal Tiger fans are going to remember how many FedExCups he won, but we’re all going to remember how many majors he won.

    We’re all going to remember him resuming his pursuit of Jack Nicklaus, if that’s where his summer tease is taking us, with Woods’ T-6 at The Open last month and his second-place finish at the PGA Championship two weeks ago.

    Whether you are a Woods fan or not, how can you not want to see a historic chase of Jack as Tiger’s last chapter?

    The game soars to yet another level with that.

    A legion of young, new fans come pouring into the game even if Tiger only gets to 17 major championship titles.

    So while the FedExCup Playoffs give us a postseason in golf, make Player of the Year chases more interesting and Ryder Cup captain’s picks more intriguing, they are a mere prelude for Tiger.

    The playoffs give him another chance to get ready for next year’s Masters.

    They give him a chance to win something before heading to Augusta National.

    They give him another chance to rebuild his closing skills.

    Woods doesn’t have to win the overall FedExCup to do that.

    And he doesn’t have to play every event he commits to playing. He’s 20th in FedExCup points right now. He can get to the Tour Championship without playing all three of the legs leading there.

    The tough spot for Woods is withdrawing from a FedExCup event. It’s trickier for him. With all the extra tickets sold when he commits, with all the excitement his anticipated arrival creates, it feels like a broken promise when he backs out.

    Yeah, other players WD before big events for reasons beyond injury, but they don’t create the massive disappointment Woods creates.

    For somebody invested in wanting to see Tiger vs. Jack reprised, it’s a lot easier to live with seeing Woods pull out of a FedExCup Playoff event to rest than to see him WD from one with an injury.

    There’s more excitement in the prospect of seeing a lot of Woods in the majors next year than seeing too much of him now.

    Here’s hoping somebody helps Tiger gets his FedExCup Playoff dosage right. His pain could be golf’s pain.

    Getty Images

    Watch: Marshawn Lynch's golf game could use some work

    By Grill Room TeamAugust 20, 2018, 8:15 pm

    NFL star running back Marshawn Lynch is pretty great at driving golf carts, but from the looks of a video that surfaced this weekend, his golf prowess starts and ends there.

    "Beast Mode" was in attendance at Klay Thompson's charity event in San Francisco on Sunday, and luckily the Golden State Warriors shooting guard caught Lynch's swing on camera - because it is a sight to behold.

    Dressed in a traditional golf hoodie, the former Super Bowl champion who has been thrilling fans with his raw athleticism and power on the gridiron for more than a decade showed off a swing that would make Charles Barkley blush.

    Lynch was not questioned about the swing by members of media afterwards, although there's a pretty good chance you already know how he would've answered.

    Getty Images

    Stenson (elbow) withdraws from playoff opener

    By Will GrayAugust 20, 2018, 5:41 pm

    Former FedExCup champ Henrik Stenson will start his postseason on the sideline, as he withdrew on Monday from The Northern Trust because of an elbow injury.

    Stenson captured the season-long title back in 2013, when he won two of the four playoff events. At 50th in the current points standings, he's assured of a spot next week at the 100-man Dell Technologies Championship and likely to make the field at the 70-man BMW Championship the following week.

    A PGA Tour official confirmed that Stenson cited the elbow injury as the reason for his withdrawal. He was bothered by an injured elbow last month that led him to withdraw from the Scottish Open and limited his prep for The Open, where he tied for 35th.

    The 42-year-old defended his title last week at the Wyndham Championship, tying for 20th place after shooting a 6-under 64 in the final round.

    "It's fine, I can practice and I can play without any problems as of now, but I can't really go after it in the gym fully," Stenson told reporters last week in Greensboro. "The main thing that we can play and practice without having any problems there, so it's getting better."

    The intrigue around Stenson's decision grows when the context of the Ryder Cup is taken into consideration. The Swede has represented Europe in the biennial matches four times, but he's currently 16th in both the European Points and World Points lists with only two weeks remaining in the qualification window.

    Even before skipping this week's event in New Jersey, Stenson appeared likely to need a pick from captain Thomas Bjorn, who will round out his 12-man roster with four selections on Sept. 5. Other notable players who are not currently in position to qualify include Sergio Garcia, Ian Poulter, Paul Casey, Rafael Cabrera-Bello, Russell Knox, Matthew Fitzpatrick and Thomas Pieters.

    Stenson becomes the fifth player to withdraw from this week's field, which does not feature alternates and is now down to 120 players. Rory McIlroy opted to rest up this week, while Patrick Rodgers is skipping the tournament to attend a wedding. Both Rickie Fowler (oblique) and Bud Cauley (June car accident) withdrew because of injury.

    Getty Images

    PAC zeroing in on Tour's secondary cut

    By Rex HoggardAugust 20, 2018, 4:29 pm

    The season’s final player advisory council meeting will be held on Tuesday at Ridgewood Country Club, and one item of interest on the agenda appears to be gaining traction among the 16-member panel.

    The secondary cut - introduced in 2008 to address large fields after the 36-hole cut and pace of play - has become increasingly unpopular. In 2014, the PGA Tour eliminated the secondary cut, which occurs if 78 players make the 36-hole cut, at the first two playoff stops. Following a 54-hole cut at this year’s Players Championship, some suggested it should not be used at the circuit’s marquee event.

    The alternative that’s being studied is to reduce the cut at all Tour events from the lowest 70 players and ties to the lowest 65 players and ties. This would allow the circuit to eliminate the secondary cut at all events.

    “I think I’m a fan of it, because I’m a fan of trying to play twosomes on the weekends as much as possible,” said PAC member Paul Casey. “In Europe it seems to work all the time. I don’t like the extra cut on a Saturday, never liked that. A guy could have an amazing Sunday, he could go out and shoot 61 or something and get a top 10.”

    The European Tour utilizes a 65-and-ties cut, as does the Web.com Tour, which had 78 players or more make the cut in just three of 23 events this season.

    The PAC requested more information and is expected to address the proposal at Tuesday’s meeting.