BETHESDA, Md. – Rory McIlroy’s victory at the U.S. Open set many records. Here is a list of his accomplishments:
– The 16 under total broke the 72-hole scoring record for most strokes under par. Tiger Woods (12 under) was the previous record-holder in 2000.
– At 22 years, 1 month, 15 days, McIlroy is the youngest U.S. Open champion since Bob Jones (1923) at 21 years, 3 months, 28 days.
– With victories by McIlroy and Graeme McDowell, both from Northern Ireland, this is the first time there have been back-to-back international winners from the same country since Alec Ross and Fred McLeod in 1907-08. They were from Scotland.
– McIlroy is the third player from Northern Ireland to win a major. McDowell won the U.S. Open last year and Fred Daly won the 1947 British Open.
– Hit 62 of 72 greens in regulation; the most in a U.S. Open since the statistic has been tracked.
– McIlroy is the first player in U.S. Open history to reach 13 under, 14 under, 15 under, 16 under and 17 under.